Sick Muscovy

nennings

Chirping
Apr 2, 2020
Oh no! We have 3 muscovy females. They are together always...ALWAYS. Today, one would not come out of her coop with the others. I looked in and she looked like she was trying to sleep (beak buried in wings). I her out and put her with the other 2 and she was fine for 2 hours...roaming the yard...digging for food..walking fine. But then I couldn't find her and she was back up alone in her coop. She does look rather 'full' and puffy. Any ideas?

I've found egg binding to be a major cause of sudden lethargy, and isolation in females - is this hen a frequent layer? This is a common stance among egg bound birds:

1618179159891.png

Excluding a puffed-up appearance, egg-bound birds may drink lots of water, but decline feed, exhibit a hard distended abdominal area, and maybe straining near the vent site.

If you are seeing some of those signs, you may try administering a calcium supplement to help promote the muscle contractions of the potential egg. It may be best to move her inside, somewhere warm, and offer warm electrolytes as well. Calcium citrate, calcium carbonate, or calcium gluconate can all be used as a calcium source. These can be obtained at your grocery store or health store. If you have inquiries regarding the dosage, and administration please state the calcium type you have.

She did just lay an egg this morning....could this still be the case?

Yes, it could very well still be the case.

To obtain a more accurate suggestion of what might be affecting her I suggest performing a thorough physical examination of the duck, and see if you can find any abnormalities that can suggest towards a certain condition. In the meantime, supportive care would also be beneficial to her health.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry

It just sounds like you might have a broody duck to me. Sounds normal, if she is broody. Is her nest lined with her down feathers? Muscovy are very broody ducks, and they get quite squeaky when they are broody it sounds something like this.

You saying she's puffy really makes me think she's just broody, my girls get very puffy and insist on laying on the nest all day, even if I remove the eggs.

Last edited:
It just sounds like you might have a broody duck to me. Sounds normal, if she is broody. Is her nest lined with her down feathers? Muscovy are very broody ducks, and they get quite squeaky when they are broody it sounds something like this.

You saying she's puffy really makes me think she's just broody, my girls get very puffy and insist on laying on the nest all day, even if I remove the eggs.

well heck! This makes sense!! Yes! Tons of feathers! And squeaky too! I did put her in warm water and an egg came out immeditly...so maybe it would have anyway? So I just leave her alone?

well heck! This makes sense!! Yes! Tons of feathers! And squeaky too! I did put her in warm water and an egg came out immeditly...so maybe it would have anyway? So I just leave her alone?
I usually just leave mine alone until they stop laying, then I dump out the nest and it breaks their broody and they are back to normal within a few days. If you want ducklings just leave her.

How is your duck doing today?
I put her in warm water and an egg came out right away...then she immediately jumped out of the tub . Roamed around the yard just fine but then disappeared to her box and snuggled down in to the straw...head in her wings. Squeaky and lots of feathers...so maybe broody? even though I take her eggs every day and no males to fertilize.

I put her in warm water and an egg came out right away...then she immediately jumped out of the tub . Roamed around the yard just fine but then disappeared to her box and snuggled down in to the straw...head in her wings. Squeaky and lots of feathers...so maybe broody? even though I take her eggs every day and no males to fertilize.
SolarDuck and I don't have males either and both of us have had ducks go broody! I'm hoping for broody! It sure sounds like it to me!

Back
Top Bottom