Sick Newborn Duckling?! Please Help Me!!!!!

Tlsx13194

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
Im hatching 5 ancona eggs, its my first time with ducks. Yesterday morning the first duckling pipped at only 25 days but on the wrong end of the shell so I helped him out after a while, its approx. 36hrs later and he is completely out but still has about a dime size bit of yolk still absorbing and he chirps nonstop and raises his head, but I just noticed he just pooped a very dark green?! Is this normal or did he get bacteria in him from hatching early? Ive kept my hands clean and the utensil I was chipping his shell with. I just moved him from incubator to brooder to try to dry out because he is still very wet. the end of the egg is still attached to the yolk, I suppose through his umbilical cord so im just letting it cover the yolk and laying a damp cloth over it to keep the yolk moist. Any suggestions?? I really don't want to risk the others getting sick but they've not made it out yet. Suggestions? He seems strong.

Tlsx13194

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
Someone please give me some advice, or at least refer me to someone I could ask, I really don't wanna lose this little guy.

HollyDuckFarmer

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
LP Michigan
I've seen how others have taken a washcloth, and sort of twisted and rolled that up into a donut shape, then set baby in the middle until the yolk is finished absorbing. That's what I would do. And I suppose I'd add heat, to help it dry too. But I'm not a hatcher, so please make your best call.

Tlsx13194

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
thank you! he seems to be strong and thriving, just needs to absorb that bit of yolk, and hopefully the pooping incident was nothing to worry about, just waiting it out. Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Top Bottom