sick one week old bantam chick

Sofi

Songster
7 Years
Oct 12, 2012
Raleigh/Garner, NC
We had some bad storms today here, so I kept the babies in today. This morning they all seemed fine. After the bad weather passed, it started to get warm and sunny, so I went to take the chicks to their outdoors pen. I found one of them like this:

Sitting without moving much, one of the wings hanging a little, eyes closed (or halfway open). Will not stand up. Still chirping, I gave it some water with nutridrench and drank a few drops.

What should I do? I separated it from the other 5 chicks, who seem normal and are doing fine.

Thanks, I don't want to lose this baby :(

I gave it some sugar water (had maybe a drop). Wrapped it with a fleece blanket and placed it under a lamp, separated from the rest. I guess now I wait :(

If you have any ideas, please please help.

Thanks.

I just lost one today that was doing that...just standing there with its eyes closed.

I got a lot of suggestions in the thread I started on here..maybe it's worth a read.

Hope you have better luck & it turns around for you!! :)

Thanks, RedMini. Unfortunately, the chick just passed. The feces were white. They have been outdoors. Could it be coccidosis? If so, what can I do to ensure the rest of the chicks are OK? Can I use CORID?

Thanks again.

Sorry you lost the chick.
I'm so new at this, so I don't know what it is. Ours are 7 days old & haven't been outside yet.

Hi, if the feces is runny, or has blood clots in it, it could be cocci. It doesn't sound like it is cocci.

If this happens again, immediately dry the bird off with a towel! Put 1tsp of sugar in it's water, and make sure it is warm enough.

To prevent:
Maybe, check on your banties as soon as it starts raining? Are you feeding medicated feed? Are you chicks vaccinated?

If they are vaccinated-don't feed medicated feed!

If they are not vaccinated, you can feed medicated feed, but you don't have to. I got GMO free non-medicated feed from CFC Farm and Home, my chicks got cocci, and it was runny yellow/ornageish color, and sometimes they had regular poop, except it had blood in it. I caught it early, and we treated it naturally, and it cleared up within a week or so, with all my babies alive!

FYI, I am not an expert, more like first time chicken raiser, but this is my 2 cents from what I have learned. :)

I hope nothing happens again!

Are your chicks under a heat lamp or a broody hen, being kept warm? Coccidiosis is rare in a 1 week old--usually it affects chicks 3-20 weeks old. Blood in the poop though is definitely cocci, but they can just also have diarrhea.

Back
Top Bottom