sick or injured? any thoughts?

JLukassen

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Hi! This morning I went out to feed and water my girls and this hen was sitting on the roost with a swollen face and some blood on it,any idea if this looks like an injury or an illness?
[/IMG]

The picture is blurry and I am on my phone, but it looks like pecking injuries to me. I would ash her face with warm water and apply anyibiotic ointment. And pen her separately from your other hens or they will continue to peck her.

Can she open her eye at all?

Was there any discharge or bubbles? Do you see any discharge from her nares? Do you hear any rasping or wheezing? Does she have a weird smell around her head?

It really looks like she got pecked or maybe bitten by an insect.

I'd separate her and let her rest in a dog crate in a garage... warm, dim, quiet. Apply Neosporin to the swelling and watch her poops and make sure she's drinking!

I hope she makes a full recovery. :)

MrsB

She can open both eyes, but doesn't seem like she wants to, acting pretty lethargic, brought her in to the house in a box by herself and she has just been sleeping since. No interest in food or water but hoping she will perk up after some rest

Poor little mama. :(

She should be okay with a little rest and TLC, if you aren't seeing any respiratory stuff.

Keep her isolated and calm. She'll tell you when she's ready to go back out. :) I'd put some vitamins in her water and sprinkle some Turmeric (yellow Indian spice) over her food to bring down any inflammation. There's no dose for the Turmeric. Just be generous with it!

If her condition deteriorates, or she stops drinking water, you may have to tube her liquids to keep her hydrated. I doubt it will come to that, but you never know with chickens.

Let us know!

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom