1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick or just tired?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lmstephenson3, Mar 20, 2013.

1. lmstephenson3

lmstephenson3 New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    I got my first chicks almost two weeks ago. They have all been doing great until last night. I noticed that one of my chicks was laying down when it was eating. I've been gone most of the day, but noticed when I got home that she was doing it again. She seems lethargic and didn't protest when I picked her up, which is unusual. I made her stand, and she walked to the water and drank, so I don't think there is anything wrong with her legs. She is under the lamp and doesn't act too cold or hot. She doesn't have pasty butt, and I haven't seen her poop. What else should I be looking for? She is just laying on the floor sleeping a lot, even though the other chicks are up and active.

2. Elke Beck

Elke Beck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    Some chicks are just more sluggish than others. Also, you might not have seen the chick running around like crazy earlier so that it is tired now. Without other symptoms, I would just wait and see.

3. NemerLuvPoultry

NemerLuvPoultry Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    You could trying to put electrolytes into the water, a small amount. It might give the little chick more energy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by