Sick or obstructed?

It is obvious she has some sort of respiratory disease. There are a few of them, each with some different symptoms. Silent gasping could be sign of aspergillosis, a fungal disease from mold. Others are infectious bronchitis virus, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) coryza, and ILT. Do you see any bubbles or foam in her eyes? Is she sneezing, or having rattles with breathing?

Do you smell any mold in the hay that was added to the coop? How is the ventilation in there?

The ventilation is good, the hay is sweet. I'd sleep on it myself. But I could've stirred up some mould when I cleaned the coop out.
Or, as you say, it could be almost anything. No bubbles or discharge or swelling, but now an occasional barking cough. Just checked on her and the breathing is quite bad, very raspy. Poor Cricket. I will try to find an antibiotic tomorrow. I think now she is suffering.

The ventilation is good, the hay is sweet. I'd sleep on it myself. But I could've stirred up some mould when I cleaned the coop out.
Or, as you say, it could be almost anything. No bubbles or discharge or swelling, but now an occasional barking cough. Just checked on her and the breathing is quite bad, very raspy. Poor Cricket. I will try to find an antibiotic tomorrow. I think now she is suffering.
:hugs Update on Cricket's condition :fl
Thanks for asking. I waffled way too long, unfortunately. For a few days she started the day quite well, and by afternoon she'd get worse. I made, and then cancelled, two vet appointments to have her euthanized, because I kept thinking she was improving.... I can almost hear people laughing that someone would hire a vet to put their chicken "to sleep"... but these girls have been my lifesavers over the pandemic, and are real pets. They follow me everywhere, jump in my lap...
Finally there was no question that there was no chance of recovery. Her comb was going dark, every breath was a high pitched gasp, neck stretched out. Poor thing. By then it was the weekend and vet was closed. My husband spent quite some time researching the most humane method. He used cervical dislocation and he assured me it was instant. I wouldn't know, since I was hiding in the bathroom.
What got me was how he called Cricket over, she came to him, so trusting, and allowed him to pick her up, no struggle.
And there you have it.
I never thought I could get so attached to a chicken.

Thanks for asking. I waffled way too long, unfortunately. For a few days she started the day quite well, and by afternoon she'd get worse. I made, and then cancelled, two vet appointments to have her euthanized, because I kept thinking she was improving.... I can almost hear people laughing that someone would hire a vet to put their chicken "to sleep"... but these girls have been my lifesavers over the pandemic, and are real pets. They follow me everywhere, jump in my lap...
Finally there was no question that there was no chance of recovery. Her comb was going dark, every breath was a high pitched gasp, neck stretched out. Poor thing. By then it was the weekend and vet was closed. My husband spent quite some time researching the most humane method. He used cervical dislocation and he assured me it was instant. I wouldn't know, since I was hiding in the bathroom.
What got me was how he called Cricket over, she came to him, so trusting, and allowed him to pick her up, no struggle.
And there you have it.
I never thought I could get so attached to a chicken.
I'm so sorry. Like you, I just lost one of my hens late Wednesday night. I knew that I was going to lose her and would have had her euthanized the next day if she had made it through the night. I suspect a reproductive issue with my hen as I have only collected 2 different eggs from the 3 hens for the past while. No matter the cause or how they die, I can relate to your heart. I'm so sorry. I'm sending you virtual hugs. You'll be in my thoughts 🙏

:hugs This is the hardest part when raising animals but you did what you had to and she's at peace, not suffering :hugs I now have a Black Star and she lays 6 days a week, a huge concern knowing of their reproductive issues. She's the sweetest and I'm hoping/praying. That's why I change out my girls at about at 1yo + I never keep past a year and half. I'm "chicken" about it reproductive issues ... Although I really like this BS.

Back
Top Bottom