Sick Orpington, Dying? :(

When you get the tube, be sure to modify the end with a lighter to make it smooth enough for her esophagus and crop.

-Kathy

Ok, read your reply, went out and give or take 65 minutes after the first one she got another dose and a small massage. NOW! it's time for bed haha

edit; about the tube, just cauterize it with an iron pin inside? smooth the edges, keep the hole open.

Last edited:
Ok, read your reply, went out and give or take 65 minutes after the first one she got another dose and a small massage. NOW! it's time for bed haha

edit; about the tube, just cauterize it with an iron pin inside? smooth the edges, keep the hole open.

I just wave a little flame over the end to dull the edges. Make it smooth enough that it won't cut your mucus membranes and it will be fine for her.

-Kathy

Ok, last night at 1:00-2:30AM I've given the (big) Orpington, 9mo old, barely 2lbs (a kg) 2 doses 65 minutes apart of 60-70ml water. Followed by a small massage to losen things up.

This morning her crop contents had set again, it felt pretty hard (lumpy). I've massaged it again and had to head in to work, gave her fresh water and removed the solid food.

Just now I've done my first of another 2 fluid (sugar + water) doses, gonna do another in about an hour. Another massage just now and one more in an hour.

What should I be seeing? She hasn't pooped, barely drank (if at all), but she still seems alert and responsive. Massaging her crop losens it up, but it doesn't continue "down the line".

I'll also measure her weight every time prior to the first dose (i should do them in 2s right? 60-90 minutes apart) to see if over a couple of days her weight starts rising due to atleast getting some calories in.

No need to do them in 2's now, that's usually just a one time thing, though doing it again won't hurt. So no poop at all? Is the mass any smaller?

-Kathy

Just gonna try and do it every 2 hours then, 60-70cc's of water with 5gr of sugar and 5ml of olive oil.

Was just observing her and she was shaking her head, gave her another massage and she threw up quite violently and is now catching her breath back in quarantine. The vomit was gooey and green/yellow, the smell was pretty bad.

No poop at all no, the mass still felt the same as an hour ago but alot more loose than this morning. Like a filled nutmilk bag? Meal & small chunks mixed with some fluids.

Yes, got a 3mm (1/10") air-tube used for aquariums, smoothed the edges with a flaming hot blade.

Reckon it's beneficial to keep massaging the poor thing's crop? Or just let it rest until the mass sets again?

Yes, got a 3mm (1/10") air-tube used for aquariums, smoothed the edges with a flaming hot blade. 

Reckon it's beneficial to keep massaging the poor thing's crop? Or just let it rest until the mass sets again?

Does the fluid clear her crop?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom