Sick Pea Chick Died - Going to Vet School For Necropsy - Will Post Results

I would think that the e-coli was able to take hold of the bird because it was already weakened from the blackhead as i have read that e-coli is prevelent with birds  around so the bird was more sucetible to getting it. the bad thing is peas hide their illness well and by time it shows any symptoms it is already well under the way to being very sick before you know and treatment is often times to late.

Vets that know how to treat blackhead will often prescribe metronidazole, Fenbendazole and a 2nd antibiotic to treat any of secondary infections.

I would think that the e-coli was able to take hold of the bird because it was already weakened from the blackhead as i have read that e-coli is prevelent with birds  around so the bird was more sucetible to getting it. the bad thing is peas hide their illness well and by time it shows any symptoms it is already well under the way to being very sick before you know and treatment is often times to late.

Or... Did the E. coli enter the chicks body through the necrotized ceca and get into the blood stream and the rest of the organs? From what I remember, the infection was everywhere or septic, whatever they call it, and necrotic was used more than once in the report.

You are so right about peas hiding their illness well because my pea that died was flying around, walking, running, eating AND drinking all on it's own the night before it died. It "appeared" to be picture perfect.

Often, a very sick animal or person will seem very healthy right before death. If you're brave, do a search on the signs of death. It's quite disturbing...

Back
Top Bottom