Sick pea

Trefoil

Songster
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
If you have a sick pea chick or pea, the first and best choice is a good poultry vet. Failing that, and a lot of us do, the next best is a good poultry person that you know and is in your area. They are going to be the best suited to know what common problems in your area are and how to treat them. Failing that, and again a lot of us do for various reasons/ The next best is to go on a forum like BYC or one of the others or all of the others and give them enough information to be able to help. That will include-how old it is - what you are feeding - living conditions (on dirt,grass, or cages) - weight - pics of or what the poop looks like- if they are housed with other poultry & what. Give as much information as possible.
A forum rather than one person you don't know is much safer because if you post on a forum and someone who sounds like a pro give you advice that "sounds" alright, but isn't then someone else on the forum will call it out. Also by posting on a forum you should get answers from several people with info that may be of help. If you post on a forum and get no answers, either it hasn't yet been seen or the problem isn't something that rings a bell with anyone. It may help to add another post to bring it to the top. The people on this forum are here to help and to get help when needed not competition to be led astray.

This is good advice, people who are concerned about their pea's health don't always provide enough information to determine what the problem is with their bird.

Of course posting here for the collective wisdom of the pea group is very important.
I also think the information from @casportpony here is invaluable - a person shouldn't wait for advice if their bird need some immediate help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...mergency-and-supportive-care-updated-7-8-2016

We need help please. Our male peacock (about 3yrs old) sounds like he is horse and he sometimes acts like he is panting. He's still alert and talks to me atleast tries to but he sounds horrible. He doesn't have any discharge from eyes or nose and his poop looks normal

I'm sure that the pea health experts will show up soon!
But in the meantime, have you checked his throat to be sure he doesn't have anything lodged in there?

yes I have there's nothing in there. Bless his heart he still acts the same as far as wanting attention ha!

The typical questions. When was he wormed, with what, and how much? Also starting a new post will get you answers quicker.

We need help please. Our male peacock (about 3yrs old) sounds like he is horse and he sometimes acts like he is panting. He's still alert and talks to me atleast tries to but he sounds horrible. He doesn't have any discharge from eyes or nose and his poop looks normal

Welcome to BYC! Any chance of getting him to a vet?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom