SICK PEAHEN

OK everyone, I've got an update on my peahen, Busby! First, some of you have asked what milligram of Baytril I gave her & it was 100 milligram. Looking back on it tho, I don't think I gave her enough each day! The Tylan 200 seemed to clear up the infection in her eye better & sooner.

Anyway, a nurse friend of mine came to the house yesterday (Sunday) & helped me (she did the grosse stuff) perform a SUCCESSFUL procedure to remove the hardened mass infection in her sinus! Like some have predicted though, my male has been "bothering" her by pecking at her wound. I've separated the two & they cannot see each other while separated. I'm wondering how long I should keep them separated?!?! The male has been very vocal since the separation...is that normal as well? Thoughts?? Thank you all for all your advice & concern!

If you gave 1ml of the 100mg/ml Baytril, that was way more than what people would give a bird that size, so if she got.
big_smile.png
That's how much I give to an 11 pound bird.

-Kathy

Glad you got help, she does look a lot better. Different medicines work differently, making them better suited for different injuries/diseases.

OK everyone, I've got an update on my peahen, Busby! First, some of you have asked what milligram of Baytril I gave her & it was 100 milligram. Looking back on it tho, I don't think I gave her enough each day! The Tylan 200 seemed to clear up the infection in her eye better & sooner.

Anyway, a nurse friend of mine came to the house yesterday (Sunday) & helped me (she did the grosse stuff) perform a SUCCESSFUL procedure to remove the hardened mass infection in her sinus! Like some have predicted though, my male has been "bothering" her by pecking at her wound. I've separated the two & they cannot see each other while separated. I'm wondering how long I should keep them separated?!?! The male has been very vocal since the separation...is that normal as well? Thoughts?? Thank you all for all your advice & concern!

Good job on removing that gunk
thumbsup.gif
i know she feels so much better , i would place her in a pen next to him till she heals all the way so he will not pick the scab off, it will make it much eaiser to put them back together this way IMO

PS breeding season is coming upon us here in the US so my birds are getting vocal also
wink.png

Last edited:
Good job Kyle! If I ever get one that bad I'll have to call the guy with experience! The cock misses his girl, that is why he is calling a lot. One half ml of Baytril would have more appropriate for that size of bird, but if it didn't work, it didn't matter. I have heard most people recommend Tylan 200 and save the big gun, Baytril, for a last resort. That was a nasty issue you had, I am glad that you could save her.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom