Sick Peahen

Mama KK

Chirping
Oct 22, 2022
Peahen (unknown age) she adopted me a year ago. Thursday I noticed she wasn’t acting like herself. Friday morning she was worse just blah and not fighting for food. Got her into vet that afternoon. Fecal sample showed nothing. They started her on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory. We’re also putting electrolytes in her water. She’s segregated from remainder of flock (chickens). She will not eat. Not even her favorite
blueberries.

Quail were recently brought on (in their own segregated pen) but not one other bird in my flock is showing any signs of being ill.

She does go on daily morning walks in the neighborhood so possibly she got into something? Grasping at straws.

Anyone have any experience with anything like this.

Current photo of her on tire in segregated pen. Photo with her best friend (her dog) the Sunday before she started showing signs of being sick.

Attachments

• 7C1129FD-D67A-48F5-AD81-85350BB28B84.jpeg
    7C1129FD-D67A-48F5-AD81-85350BB28B84.jpeg
    581.5 KB · Views: 55
  • BC3990FA-C2DA-4CFC-A263-CDCAED58629E.jpeg
    BC3990FA-C2DA-4CFC-A263-CDCAED58629E.jpeg
    985 KB · Views: 7
I just lost a hen the other day that fits that description, her fecal exam was clear also. When this happens, losing weight and showing bacterial infection and otherwise healthy it is usually due to a sharp foreign object that pierces the esophagus and leaks into the chest cavity causing an infection.

I just lost a hen the other day that fits that description, her fecal exam was clear also. When this happens, losing weight and showing bacterial infection and otherwise healthy it is usually due to a sharp foreign object that pierces the esophagus and leaks into the chest cavity causing an infection.
Oh, I'm so sorry.

I can't imagine how she would've eaten a foreign object but like I said she does go on daily walks.

She did drink quite a bit this morning and seemed a little more energetic, hoping it's a good sign. Fearful to get my hopes up though.

Back
Top Bottom