Angelica

Mama KK

Chirping
Oct 22, 2022
This morning around 1:00 am, my dog went on full alert beside me, ran into the den and started barking at the back windows. We walked outside but didn’t see anything, the hens started squawking and as we got nearer the coop I heard my husband say, “Angelica?”

Something had found its way in and took down that beautiful big girl. She was laying under her perch with a mark on her chest and head and there were feathers everywhere but no tracks of anything in the dirt so we have no clue what could have gotten her. The hens made no noise until we came outside and only then because they wanted out.

I can’t imagine how or why something would take down Angelica instead of one of the chickens since she’s so much bigger unless she was fighting whatever it was and lost. She wasn’t one to back down and she was protective over her flock, even if she would beat them up over food.

She flew into our yard on October 16, 2022 and decided this was where she needed to be. She made herself right at home in the coop, on the back patio, on the roof, at the neighbors, she was queen bee and she was beautiful enough to hold that title.

In September of 2023 when she got sick the vet told me that we’d probably lose her and while if that was God’s plan then fine, but we weren’t going down without a fight. So for two weeks my husband and I nursed her back to health. We force fed her medicine, we monitored her, we fixed her special food, we made sure that she had every chance possible to survive, and she did, she was a fighter. So I can only imagine that when a predator invaded her house she wasn’t about to go down without a fight.

One day she flew into my backyard and decided this was a cool place to be and she never left. She didn’t belong to me, I belonged to her. She came when I called and if I whistled she honked in response. Her best friend was my her dog and she loved blueberries. She brought me so much joy and my heart is broken.

Attachments

• IMG_7285.jpeg
    IMG_7285.jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8807.jpeg
    IMG_8807.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8824.jpeg
    IMG_8824.jpeg
    579.4 KB · Views: 7
I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs She was absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully you can figure out where the predator was able to get in and secure the coop so it doesn't happen again.

Awwww she was so gorgeous, do you have any idea what got her? I'm really sorry for your loss
Possibly a raccoon, there were no tracks in the dirt and we think we ran whatever it is off since she wasn't more ravaged but I don't know.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs She was absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully you can figure out where the predator was able to get in and secure the coop so it doesn't happen again.
We are going to go over with a a fine tooth comb this afternoon to ensure just that. We thought we already had but with the heavy rains and freezing we've had lately I'm thinking there's a hole somewhere we hadn't seen

Back
Top Bottom