Acquired Penhen - winter care?

Amandainmn

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2019
Our neighbors that are about a mile away have peafowl. Earlier this summer, one of their peahens came into our yard. And she's stayed since. We do have chickens and pigs and she seems to roam around with them as she wants. She has been roosting in the same tree for months. A few weeks after she arrived, I did drive over to the neighbor's house to tell them she was here and they said they were going to come and get her but they've never came.
She's pretty and we call her Penelope, but it isn't like she eats with the chickens or anything. She just free ranges. But, it's fall here and will soon be winter and she never goes in the barn. I'm wondering if I should be trying to catch her to put her in there or if she'll be fine outside? Or maybe she'll return home? I have to assume she can hear her flock calling. My husband says not to worry about it since she's "not ours" but I can't just let an animal suffer if I can do something about it.

Our neighbors that are about a mile away have peafowl. Earlier this summer, one of their peahens came into our yard. And she's stayed since. We do have chickens and pigs and she seems to roam around with them as she wants. She has been roosting in the same tree for months. A few weeks after she arrived, I did drive over to the neighbor's house to tell them she was here and they said they were going to come and get her but they've never came.
She's pretty and we call her Penelope, but it isn't like she eats with the chickens or anything. She just free ranges. But, it's fall here and will soon be winter and she never goes in the barn. I'm wondering if I should be trying to catch her to put her in there or if she'll be fine outside? Or maybe she'll return home? I have to assume she can hear her flock calling. My husband says not to worry about it since she's "not ours" but I can't just let an animal suffer if I can do something about it.
Here's an article on peafowl that might be helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/caring-for-peafowl.67363/
I've never raised them personally but perhaps someone that has can chime in. From what I understand some varieties are more cold hardy than others and it would depend on where you're located, if it gets very cold I believe any peafowl would need more protection than your average cold hardy chicken.

Here's an article on peafowl that might be helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/caring-for-peafowl.67363/
I've never raised them personally but perhaps someone that has can chime in. From what I understand some varieties are more cold hardy than others and it would depend on where you're located, if it gets very cold I believe any peafowl would need more protection than your average cold hardy chicken.
Thanks! We are in Minnesota so it definitely gets cold. I know when I found the owner I said it was white but then he said it was a black shoulder or something like that?
0C2A8649.jpg

Back
Top Bottom