orphaned peachick looking for new momma

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
My 10 year old IB peahen was massacred by my neighbors dogs today. She recently had hatched two peachicks, I sold one at four weeks to a friend, and was gonna let my hen keep her other baby for a while, til they became less bonded. However, at 6 weeks, the baby and momma were still very bonded, and he needed her. He is so lonely and i am so sad for him. He called for her all day and finally did observe her dead body. Tonight he is roosting with our Charcoal peahen Pearl, and begging to get under her wing. Pearl and Snap, the peahen that was killed, were very good friends. But Pearl is a Charcoal and therefore I would assume not carrying a lot of motherly tendencies, since she is, or is supposed to be, sterile. Is there any chance she might adopt this baby and help him along the rest of the way to adulthood? She is allowing the chick to sit with her on the roost, but of course isn't inclined to let him get under her wing.

I should add that when I sold the other chick, we placed her with a broody hen who adopted her immediately, and the owner was pretty sure that would happen. We made sure that baby would have either a surrogate mom or some chicks her own size to mingle with. But this chick has no surrogate mom, that's why I'm hoping Pearl might come through for us. He does have three chicken chicks that are about his size, that he sometimes hangs out with a little.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. That really sucks.
Thank you. I am so broken hearted. She was the best and most trusting of peahens, we had a connection. And it is killing me to hear her baby calling and watching him go to the places where they would sun and hang out, hoping to find her. I am hoping Pearl will come through for us, in some form.

If Pearl is letting the chick sit next to her that is a good sign. With temps near 100* and into the low 70*s at night the chick will be fine snuggling next to Pearl or any other birds its size like small chickens. If you get a cold snap or wet weather it may be a problem and you would have to put it in a coop for the night.

If Pearl is letting the chick sit next to her that is a good sign. With temps near 100* and into the low 70*s at night the chick will be fine snuggling next to Pearl or any other birds its size like small chickens. If you get a cold snap or wet weather it may be a problem and you would have to put it in a coop for the night.
It's been in the 60's at night, 80's during the day. He seems to be doing oK. I don't think I can catch him again til he is older, he's too small and fast. And he roosts high, I can't reach the roost at night. Thanks for the advice though, good to know.

Back
Top Bottom