Sick Peahen

Here is a thread I started when my chickens got pox in 2013:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...x-xxx-rated-graphic-pictures-of-pus-and-scabs

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Note that I only posted pictures of the most severe birds, many did not look that bad, lol.
Do you think this chick has pox? It looks similar to one of the chickens pictures you posted in this thread. Had two chicks looking like this, and coincidence they are from the same parents.

Edited: Forgot to add the picture, i really need to sleep LOL

Last edited:
Maybe this:

VITAMIN A DEFICIENCY

Depending on liver stores, adult birds could be fed a vitamin A–deficient diet for 2–5 mo before signs of deficiency develop. Eventually, birds become emaciated and weak with ruffled feathers. Egg production drops markedly, hatchability decreases, and embryonic mortality increases. As egg production declines, there will likely be only small follicles in the ovary, some of which show signs of hemorrhage. A watery discharge from the eyes may also be noted. As the deficiency continues, milky white, cheesy material accumulates in the eyes, making it impossible for birds to see (xerophthalmia). The eye, in many cases, may be destroyed.
The first lesion usually noted in adult birds is in the mucous glands of the upper alimentary tract. The normal epithelium is replaced by a stratified squamous, keratinized layer. This blocks the ducts of the mucous glands, resulting in necrotic secretions. Small, white pustules may be found in the nasal passages, mouth, esophagus, and pharynx, and these may extend into the crop. Breakdown of the mucous membrane usually allows pathogenic microorganisms to invade these tissues and cause secondary infections.
Depending on the quantity of vitamin A passed on from the breeder hen, day-old chicks reared on a vitamin A–deficient diet may show signs within 7 days. However, chicks with a good reserve of maternal vitamin A may not show signs of a deficiency for up to 7 wk. Gross signs in chicks include anorexia, growth retardation, drowsiness, weakness, incoordination, emaciation, and ruffled feathers. If the deficiency is severe, the chicks may become ataxic, which is also seen with vitamin E deficiency (see Vitamin E Deficiency). The yellow pigment in the shanks and beaks is usually lost, and the comb and wattles are pale. A cheesy material may be noted in the eyes, but xerophthalmia is seldom seen because chicks usually die before the eyes become affected. Secondary infection may play a role in many of the deaths noted with acute vitamin A deficiency.
Young chicks with chronic vitamin A deficiency may also develop pustules in the mucous membrane of the esophagus that usually affect the respiratory tract. Kidneys may be pale and the tubules distended because of uric acid deposits, and in extreme cases, the ureters may be plugged with urates. Blood levels of uric acid can rise from a normal level of ~5 mg to as high as 40 mg/100 mL. Vitamin A deficiency does not interfere with uric acid metabolism but does prevent normal excretion of uric acid from the kidney. Histologic findings include atrophy of the cytoplasm and a loss of the cilia in the columnar, ciliated epithelium.
Although vitamin A–deficient chicks can be ataxic, similar to those with vitamin E deficiency, no gross lesions are found in the brain of vitamin A–deficient chicks as compared with degeneration of the Purkinje cells in the cerebellum of vitamin E–deficient chicks (see Vitamin E Deficiency). The livers of ataxic vitamin A–deficient chicks contain little or no vitamin A.
Because stabilized vitamin A supplements are almost universally used in poultry diets, it is unlikely that a deficiency will be encountered. However, if a deficiency does develop because of either inadvertent omission of the vitamin A supplement or inadequate feed preparation, up to 2 times the normally recommended level should be fed for ~2 wk. Vitamin A can be administered through the drinking water, and such treatment usually results in faster recovery than supplemtation via the feed

Source: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/z..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

-Kathy

I gave them Vitamin A in the water, and I repeat it every month, all other chicks look fine. But will give them more vitamins tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom