Sick Pekin duck, following what appears to be choking behavior

Mightymumks

Hatching
Sep 6, 2018
Hello. I have been lurking here and reading and utilizing your forum for years, but have never posted. Backyard chicken has helped me immensely. Today I am desperate for advice regarding one of my 4 pekin ducks, Mollie. I acquired these 4 from a neighbor about 2 months ago, 3 females and 1 male. I currently have a happy healthy flock of 14 chickens of mixed breeds. So i added on a new 16 x 16 run for the ducks, and added 2 baby pools and a 2 ft deep stock tank for the ducks to swim in. Their pools are emptied twice a day. They also have their own area to nest in at night.
They intermingle with the chickens throughout the day. I feed them layer crumbles. Nothing fancy. But also at least twice a day, they are fed fruits and vegetables from the garden, including sliced cucumbers, canteloupe, watermelon, squash, peaches, strawberries and pears. I also feed them a variety of fresh grass a least twice a day.
4 days ago, after filling their pool, i was going into my barn when i heard a loud commotion and quacking. I looked towards the run and saw mollie in the pool with her neck stretched stiffly upward, and then she flipped over backwards out of the pool. I immediately ran to the run, and looked in as i fumbled to open the door, and I thought she was dead. I scooped her up off the ground, where she jad started slowly flapping her wings in the mud. I removed her from the crowd and held her in my arms while she quickly regained her posture and started moving. When i set her down, she was a little clumsy at first. Soon she was acting normal, so i put her back and kept a close eye on her.
She was immediately stand-offish... quiet and won't get in the pool with the others. She won't eat, but mimics the others, and acts like she is eating. She is drinking a lot, or trying to. She shakes her beak a lot, and her muscles look like she is swallowing excessively. She also lifts her wings slightly off her body, repeatedly and constantly, unless she is sleeping, almost like a nervous twitch. I bought Durvet vitamins and electrolytes and gave her a dose orally, which seemed to mostly run out the sides of her beak.
She panics when i touch her neck. And twice that i have observed, she has panicked and acted like she was choking. But this morning, I was able to get her isolated and used a flashlight to look down her throat and in the roof of her mouth, and saw no obstruction. I did, however, notice that when feeling her neck with my hand, she became quite nervous and exhaled kind of like a gasp and squirmed, when my hand reached just the point where her neck meets her body. I have mixed some crumbles with water in an attempt to get some food in her system, but I'm not sure if she is eating any, or just stirring it around.
I have called both of my vets, and neither one treat poultry. I am getting quite nervous, as it has been 4 days now, and she still is not better. She will not swim and will not eat, and sits quietly by herself. I am fearful that she may have something lodged in her throat, or in her windpipe, but don't know how to help her. Its absolutely heartbreaking to watch her struggle like this. I feel helpless.

I can sure try. Video of which part, exactly? Of her sitting still, walking, sitting off by herself? Drinking? I have to prewarn you, though. Its been raining for 3 days here in kansas, so its a mudhole right now. just let me know what kind of video you need, and I will do that right now. Thank you so much for responding so quick.

I went into the coop with Mollie yesterday afternoon, for almost 2 hours, to observe her and encourage her to drink her water. I gave her some durvet vitamins and electrolytes again in her own water source, and she drank it all.
i read on another thread here, that wing twitching is common when ducks are eggbound. Although her posture is not like in the videos I have seen of eggbound ducks, her wing twitching is quite similar. I hadn't thought about that, since the ducks do not each lay an egg every day, I don't keep very good track of who did or didn't. So i held Mollie and felt around to see if I could feel a bulge or egg through her feathers, which I could not. But it seemed to cause her a lot of discomfort when i was feeling around back there.
After my visit, she went into one of the nesting boxes and slept for 2 more hours. I hoped maybe she would lay an egg, and this would all be over. No such luck. So i gave her a warm bath before bed, and dried her off real good. She is in a dog kennel, inside the duck house with her vitamin water, so I can see how she drank over night, and if she pooped.
I sure hope it isn't heavy metal poisoning, because I'd sure hate to lose her.
I did get a video of her resting this evening. I apologize for the video being sideways, and for the crappy quality. In the video, Mollie is muddy. That is because she won't get in the water with the other ducks, but first thing in the morning, she ran through the mud with everyone else. She hasn't voluntarily been in the pool for 2 days.
Thank you for any help or advice you might have.

I don’t see her straining to expel an egg. I’ve had mine strain and the very tip of their tail will rhymithcally (sp?) dip down while they are pushing. Which I didn’t see in the video but I would try to watch to see if you can tell. I’ve had mine whip their head back and then they kick their feet in the air like they are riding a bicycle. Then they go back to normal in a few minutes. If she has ingested something with metal in it and she doesn’t pass it, there isn’t a whole lot you can do.:hugs Also if she has an egg broken inside, there isn’t much you can do for that either. @casportpony what about tube feeding?

I just wanted to update my post. For 4 days, I treated Mollie with whatever remedy I could think of, including the following:
Vitamin B Complex, dissolved in water and given orally via a syringe, once a day.
Durvet vitamins and electrolytes, 1/4 of a scoop, dissolved in her own water source, twice a day.
Nutri-drench solution once a day, the full dose on the bottle, orally via the enclosed dropper.
Warm baths in an 18 inch deep black rubber water tub. Several times a day. I run a private horse rescue, so I work at home. I literally spent every free moment with Mollie, and had plenty of time to give her lots and lots of long swims in warm water, away from the other ducks. During the daytime, Mollie stayed off by herself, often in the doorway of the coop, just watching the other chickens and ducks. She was very withdrawn, and just didnt feel good at all. To be able to better monitor her fluid intake and poop output during the overnight hours, when they are put up in the coop, I moved a very large wire dog kennel in there, and put fresh, dry hay down for Mollie to sleep on. I used some plywood as a roof for her spot, so the chickens wouldn't poop on her. I also provided her with fresh clean water, and wetted down a very small portion of her crumbles for her, in case she decided to eat. Then after dark, I put her inside the kennel, inside the coop.
The first 3 days were not very promising. Her poop was very very runny, and dark green. She still wouldn't eat. But she LOVED her baths. She would really swim around a lot and even got a little crazy a few times. But she seemed to want to sleep an awful lot, and i would frequently find her sleeping in the chickens nesting boxes.
On day 4, she laid me an egg!! I decided to take it apart, to see if it was abnormal in any way. It was a perfect egg. Not too hard but not too soft. Insides looked normal. She also had poop that was starting to form back up and get its normal texture back. But she still wasn't eating, and stayed in the coop all day. Day 5, she ate her mash, and pooped the same as day 4. I continued the treatments. On day 6, she was picking around at the crumbles, and came running out of the coop with the others.
Here it is, I don't know how many days later, and she is officially back to herself. Completely and 100% back to Mollie. She poops normal and she is eating like a piglet. And she LOVES her worms and watermelon again. I'm proud of her, because she really had me scared that she wasnt going to make it. I'm a new(er) duck owner, though I've had chickens most of my life, so I am learning. I love my whole herd(thats what we call them) of misfits, like family, well.... because thats what they are. I appreciate the help, advice and links shared, to help me try to save her. I still have no idea what exactly her issue was, but I'm glad she pulled through it. She's a tough duck.
Thank you from me and Mollie, here in Kansas. <3

Back
Top Bottom