Sick Pullet

lbidder114

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 11, 2012
Hill , NH
I have a young hen that has not laid yet. This morning she was sitting in the hay outside my son pat her and we went about feeding and whatnot and went inside. Later I went to feed them some bread ends and they all came running except her. She was sitting in a different spot but not far from the first place I saw her. I went to pick her up and she fought me and fell on her face in the snow. I bent over to get her and she stumbled away a few steps and fell on her face again. I took her in the house and called a few vets, no one was in today. I got her to eat some crumbles wet with water but she won't drink. Her crop looks enlarged is it possible that it's an impacted crop? Should I not feed her any more of the wet food? Any help or advice would be great. Thank you!

She also sits in the box with her mouth open and seems to be falling a bit forward if you try to pick her or sit her up...

I hope this is not the case, but once the dying process begins, their organs shut down and they don't/can't process the food that's in their crops and intestines. Open mouth breathing can also be a sign that they are dying.

I'd keep her inside where it's warm and try to get her to drink.

Back
Top Bottom