Sick Quail! Please help :(

Ceku

In the Brooder
May 4, 2021
Hi !
One of my female quails has stopped laying for a week and she seems lethargic.
Today she keeps pooping watery droppings. They are so liquid like almost water.
Some of them are yellowish and a little bit slimy and some of them has long lines that i assume intestinal linings.
I don't see any blood for now but she pooped a lot of linings that are either brown or green.

She doesn't eat or drink on her own. She just standing still on the corner.
I tried to force feed her and gave little amounts of smashed hard boiled eggs mixed with her feed, and some yogurt.

Please help me :( What is her problem? how can i help her?
My country is on a lockdown for next 2 weeks. So I it would be hard for me to take her to the vet.

Watery poop definitely shows that she hasn't been eating. Do you have any Nutri-drench or Save-a-chick? I would start with that. If she's not getting better after a week, I would definitely get her to a vet.

Make sure she's separated from the rest of your birds and in a warm place.

Watery poop definitely shows that she hasn't been eating. Do you have any Nutri-drench or Save-a-chick? I would start with that. If she's not getting better after a week, I would definitely get her to a vet.

Make sure she's separated from the rest of your birds and in a warm place.
I separated her as soon as i noticed.
Sorry, not exactly sure what are save-a-chick and nutri-drench so googled it. I suppose one of them is vitamin and other is electrolyte. I gave her vitamin this morning and for the electrolyte i didn't have any so I found a DIY Electrolyte Solutions recipe for birds. I made and gave her a little.
Thanks for helping. đź‘Ť

I'm hoping she gets better but no change for now :( She is still pooping slimy lines with water.

Your description sounds like Ulcerative enteritis. Lethargic, retracked neck and head, fluffed up appearance, droopy wings, partially closed eyes, diarrhoea, watery feces, yellow or white in color.

Treatment is Streptomycin, 44gm/liter of drinking water. Quail have an 100% mortality rate. Must start medication 48 to 96 hours after first noticing the illness but it's not a guarantee that they will survive, as this disease spreads rapidly.

The best prevention is strict biosecurity protocols. Clean waterers, feeders, sanitary conditions....even flies can spread the bacterium responsible for the infection.

Last edited:
Your description sounds like Ulcerative enteritis. Lethargic, retracked neck and head, fluffed up appearance, droopy wings, partially closed eyes, diarrhoea, watery feces, yellow or white in color.

Treatment is Streptomycin, 44gm/liter of drinking water. Quail have an 100% mortality rate. Must start medication 48 to 96 hours after first noticing the illness but it's not a guarantee that they will survive, as this disease spreads rapidly.

The best prevention is strict biosecurity protocols. Clean waterers, feeders, sanitary conditions....even flies can spread the bacterium responsible for the infection.
Thanks for the information.
I will try to get her to the vet as soon as i can.
Hope my poor girl can make it through :(

Also her poops are changed to the green and kinda brown slimy pieces with white liquids
here I'm attaching a photo.
Is this really Ulcerative enteritis?

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_024709.jpg
    IMG_20210505_024709.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom