1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Rhode Island Red!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clineclan, Jul 3, 2016.

1. clineclan

clineclan New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    Hi, thank you for allowing me to join BackYard Chickens! I have 5 RIR and 2 Black Sex Links. About a week ago I noticed one of the hens had watery poo but everyone seemed fine, then 2 days ago the other hens started attacking the one! It turned out she was the one with the bad poo. We've checked her for being egg bound and she isn't but now today is very lethargic and doesn't want to eat or drink. What all could be wrong with her? They are all 1 1/2 years old. We did have a bad problem with mites a while back but that has been cleared up finally. Just not sure what might be wrong with her! Thank you for any help you can give!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Is the one being attacked with diarrhea usually one of the lower ones in the pecking order? Could they be keeping her from getting enough feed and water? Have your chickens been wormed recently? Do you have a vet that could do a fecal test on a few fresh droppings for worms or cocci? I would give her some chopped egg or tuna, and add some water to her feed. A little probiotics or plain yogurt for a few days might help with her runny stools.If you have a crate or cage, you can place her mear the other chickens with her own food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by