sick rir...went down overnight...help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by k2smama, Dec 28, 2013.

1. k2smama

k2smama Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    We have a rir we adopted. Don't know her age. Was told she was young, but was laying big beautiful eggs when we got her. One every day. Got her in October. She stopped laying about 2 weeks ago. Was doing fine then this morning found her with an egg, but was extremely lethargic and eyes closed and went get up. Egg looked perfectly formed. I broke it for her and force feed her a little and gave her yogurt. She's cold and not moving. HELP!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I really don't have any idea other than to guess what is wrong with her. Could she have been egg bound for a couple of days, then finally passed it? Has she been acting sick for a couple of days or having diarrhea and a poor appetite? Since she is fairly new to your property I suppose she could have coccidiosis. Corid (amprollium) would help with that. I hope she perks up and you can figure out what is wrong. Check her for mites around and under the vent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by