Sick Roo

He is getting worse. Just wants to sleep. Hardly drinks even with the dropper. I was getting him to eat by hand feeding his feed mixed with yogurt, but now he won't. He is purple. Before he would start to improve, then be not so great, and would go up and down. I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose him. I don't know what else to do.

If I do I want to get a necropsy done, but my mom is concerned if we go through the extension office our farm could get flagged depending on what it is.

He is getting worse. Just wants to sleep. Hardly drinks even with the dropper. I was getting him to eat by hand feeding his feed mixed with yogurt, but now he won't. He is purple. Before he would start to improve, then be not so great, and would go up and down. I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose him. I don't know what else to do.

If I do I want to get a necropsy done, but my mom is concerned if we go through the extension office our farm could get flagged depending on what it is.

Sorry about your rooster. I wonder if he is suffering from aspergillosis from mold. It can cause fungal disease in many areas of the body, including the respiratory tract and air sacs. Heart problems may also be a problem. A necropsy would rule it out for sure, but I understand if your mom doesn't want to take the risk. If you could do your own necropsy, and take pictures of the the organs, you might get some opinions if you post them. Fungus from aspergillosis can be located in the lungs, air sacs, throat, intestines, liver, brain, and other organs. It shows up as white to yellow patches.

Last edited:
He died today. Poor guy. We are sending him for a necropsy on Monday.

None of the other chickens are sick. So that's something.

We sent him for a necropsy. The initial diagnosis is aspergillosis, like you suggested. I just hope the other chickens haven't got it now they spent the last week in the coop. I'm in the process of cleaning and disinfecting everything.

So sorry you lost your sweet boy - hope that the rest of your flock stays healthy & that it was an isolated incident. Good on you for getting to the bottom of it.

Seems it was an isolated incident. None of the hens are showing signs and we've been working at cleaning out the coop thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom