Sick Rooster

Should I continue with the electrolyte /vitamin powder in water and also give rooster booster poultry cell? Or one or the other? If poultry cell, how long do I give it to him? I am going to feed store today and will get the all flock and poultry cell. He is still eating and drinking well, still crowing but still can't stand or walk. I helped him to his feet and was OK for a minute as long as I had my hand on his back, when I let go he started to fall forward. I noticed that he is sitting on his own now rather than trying to stand. I couldn't get a good picture of his poop, but it looks normal to me. Here is a picture of the big guy "Captain". He is so sweet, he lets me do whatever I need to help him with no fuss. He was docile prior to this, but had to catch him first.

Should I continue with the electrolyte /vitamin powder in water and also give rooster booster poultry cell? Or one or the other? If poultry cell, how long do I give it to him? I am going to feed store today and will get the all flock and poultry cell. He is still eating and drinking well, still crowing but still can't stand or walk. I helped him to his feet and was OK for a minute as long as I had my hand on his back, when I let go he started to fall forward. I noticed that he is sitting on his own now rather than trying to stand. I couldn't get a good picture of his poop, but it looks normal to me. Here is a picture of the big guy "Captain". He is so sweet, he lets me do whatever I need to help him with no fuss. He was docile prior to this, but had to catch him first.
He's a handsome boy, but looks like he doesn't feel well at all.
Is his face swollen some or does he normally look like that.

Give the Poultry Cell for a couple of days, then switch to plain water - make sure he is staying hydrated. I would eliminate the yogurt, just in case he is suffering from too much calcium.

It's hard to say what is going on with your fella. With his age, it could be a lot of things.

Do you have a vet you can take a poop sample for testing (fecal float test). This may give you some useful information on worms, cocci and bacteria.

Since you treated with antibiotics for 4-5days when he became ill and no improvement it most likely wouldn't be bacterial, but you never know.

His face doesn't appear swollen to me. I haven't given him yogurt in a few days. I just picked up the feed and poultry cell. I will start him on it today and hopefully see positive results. I don't have a vet. Crossing my fingers that this works. Thank you for everything, I will keep you posted.

Hi,it's been 9 days since my last post. My rooster "Captain " is still hanging in there. I have done everything and nothing seems to be working. He is still eating and drinking,but still cannot walk. He will try to stand but eventually falls over. Someone told me to give him peanut butter because it sounds like he might have eaten something metal, possibly a BB,which is possible as my kids did target practice in backyard many years ago. They said that the peanut butter would attach to the item and he would poop it out. I gave it to him for about 4 or 5 days and still no improvement. His wings seems to be paralyzed as well. I have been feeding him a few times daily,I have to put the food right under his beak. I also put Apple cider vinegar in his water, nothing seems to be working. I don't know what to do. I wouldn't even know how to put him down if I have to. It's been two weeks since he's walked. I've also given him the poultry cell.

It sounds like you have tried everything. How long was he on antibiotics? He very well could have gotten into some type of poison. Maybe something sprayed on a yard?
I'm stumped. I wish I could help. Keep us posted.

He was on antibiotics for 5 days, that was in the beginning of his distress. It is going on 3 weeks now and not much improvement. I still have to make sure he is eating and drinking as he still cannot get to his feeder without falling over on his side or face first. I've treated him for external and internal parasites, I've been giving him poultry cell, I gave him peanut butter (at the recommendation of someone that is very experienced with chickens)that was for if he ate something metal or toxic. I am now thinking a possible back injury. When I pick him up, he still thrashes and kicks feet and legs, very strong. If it were a disease, wouldn't he have died by now after 3 weeks? If it is a back injury, is there any remedies? I'll try anything. I mentioned to my husband that we may have to put him down as I don't know what else to do. I went out to coop to feed and water him yesterday morning and he was semi-standing, as long as he can prop his butt against the cage he can stand. Any ideas? Everyone I talk to is baffled. I do not have the funds for a vet. Thank you!

He was on antibiotics for 5 days, that was in the beginning of his distress. It is going on 3 weeks now and not much improvement. I still have to make sure he is eating and drinking as he still cannot get to his feeder without falling over on his side or face first. I've treated him for external and internal parasites, I've been giving him poultry cell, I gave him peanut butter (at the recommendation of someone that is very experienced with chickens)that was for if he ate something metal or toxic. I am now thinking a possible back injury. When I pick him up, he still thrashes and kicks feet and legs, very strong. If it were a disease, wouldn't he have died by now after 3 weeks? If it is a back injury, is there any remedies? I'll try anything. I mentioned to my husband that we may have to put him down as I don't know what else to do. I went out to coop to feed and water him yesterday morning and he was semi-standing, as long as he can prop his butt against the cage he can stand. Any ideas? Everyone I talk to is baffled. I do not have the funds for a vet. Thank you!
Can you post a picture of his poop?

-Kathy

I've done everything but treat for coccidiosis. No blood in poop, but read that blood is not always present. He is 3 or 4 years old, no newbies to flock. Should I treat him for coccidiosis and if that's not the problem can it harm him? I will try to post picture of his poop. Thank you!

Here is picture of poop from today,this is not what it looks like daily. Sometimes its brown, sometimes runny but most days it's clumped or normal looking to me. Omg, I just went to let my other 3 chickens out and I saw moving worms (looks like rice )in poop in coop, under the roost. I followed them around the yard until one of them pooped and didn't see anything. I treated them about 2 weeks ago with wazine. What should I follow up with? My sick rooster has been separate from them for 3 weeks,could this be his distress? Internal parasites cause him not to be able to walk? He actually tried to walk to his feeder this morning,but still falling over. Still eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom