Sick Rooster

tammyborn

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 20, 2009
Our EE is lethargic, comb no longer bright red but dull pink. not eating well if any. Any suggestions?

The rooster is about 3 years old, I have had some hens display the same symptoms. It usually happens one hen every 5-6 months. They usually die.

At 3 years most likely internal organ damage or maybe some other disease that kills older birds only like TB. There are a few others I just cannot think of them.

I'm by no means an expert, so I can only tell you what I've read about on here. Don't have a lot of info to go by though, so I'll start with the usual questions. Have you wormed them? Possible they could have worms. What do the droppings look like? Have you checked them for lice and or mites? I've read on here for a quick energy boost, try offering sugar water to get energy up enough to try to eat something. Maybe a scrambled egg or something? Or try some Poly-vi-Sol baby vitamins (no Iron) by dropper or on a piece of bread. If lice/mites, dust the bird(s) and coop with Sevin dust and repeat in 10-14 days. I'm sure someone here will pop up soon with more help. Wish I could give more info. Good luck!

stool - liquid white - no formed, He did walk outside - feathers all puffed out, tail down. He has not been wormed.

Do you have a vet in the area that would allow you to bring a stool sample in to do a fecal for worms? I know it's not best to treat for worms if they don't have them especially if they're weak to begin with. I'd go that route while in the meantime, giving vitamins/electrolytes and try to get some food in him. Warm oatmeal maybe? I'll give you the link to the poop chart as well so you can compare what you're seeing with your rooster.

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Wish I could help more. Good luck

the poop chart was very helpful!!! How do you describe normal poop - thanks. The roos poop looks more like the watery one with a kidney infection, but still may be worms. He did eat some scratch so hopefully he will get better. Thanks guys for all the help.

I would take a stool sample to a vet if at all possible. It is easier to treat if you know what you are dealing with. If you have any other animals that go to a vet, that vet will usually do a fecal on your chickens even if they are not sure how to treat. It helps to re-assure them that you can find the treatment here if you know what the problem is. At least that worked for us. ...Good luck. You can loose a lot of birds trying all the treatments out there. There are a lot of natural antibiotics,probiotics,antibacterial, things that work pretty well at keeping you birds healthy, but some times you need to use med.s to get them healthy ASAP.,,,,,,,

Back
Top Bottom