Sick rooster

oswald808

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Honolulu
This morning when I woke up and after Oz crowed some, he started to act strange. He wouldn't eat nor drink. He's quite lethargic now. Don't know what's wrong with him. I gave him a little bit of water with an eyedropper not too long ago. Also got some unflavored pedialyte for him but haven't administered it yet. His poo is quite liquidey with urine and some diarrhea in it. When he sleeps sometimes his head shakes/twitches. His regular vet isn't open today so I'm gonna try to take him to another that saw him when he was a chick. Please help! Thank you!

Last edited:
If he's breathing heavy and twitching his head a lot, he could have the beginnings of a respiratory disease. I'd give him some electrolytes and probiotics, and isolate him from the other birds (if you haven't already). Keep him warm and out of drafts. I recommend also getting some antibiotics in case it is a bacterial respiratory disease instead of a virus. Tylan50 is one of the best antibiotics for respiratory diseases. It is usually given as an injection, though it can be given orally or in the water (if using a special powdered form--this is more difficult to find). You'll need some small (20-22gauge) needles and some small syringes to give it as an injection. Give Tylan50 once a day, injected into the breast muscle, for five days. The dosage is 1cc for large fowl, .5ccs for bantams. Here is a link to giving chickens injections: http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

There are other things that could be wrong with him as well, but so far the symptoms aren't very specific. Many chickens diseases cause chickens to be lethargic and breathe heavily. Update us if he begins to show any more symptoms, and if you take him to the vet.

You need to get him to eat enough. He is likely producing liquidy droppings because he is sick, and because he isn't eating enough. Tempt him into eating by offering some scrambled egg, yogurt, or applesauce. Try some moistend chicken feed, too. If he doesn't eat solid foods, give him some egg yolk (raw), and drip water and electrolytes into his beak. You can also try mixing feed with water until it is a soupy mixture and putting that into a plastic spoon. Hold it up to his beak (you'll not be able to do this very well if he's not a tame bird) and tilt the spoon a little while pressing upwards against the beak. This will sometimes cause him to swallow and open his beak a little. If he doesn't eat anything even after trying giving him food by eyedropper or by spoon, think about tube feeding. I've never done it personally, but here are some helpful links:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/722041/how-to-t-feed-a-sick-chicken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...h-my-bird-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post

Hope this helps, and please keep us updated!

Could he have been exposed to a new strain of coccidiosis from a new chicken lately? Sometimes it can be brought in on shoes or tires. He does have signs of cocci, so I would consider treating him with Corid 2 tsp liquid or 1 1/2 tsp powder in 1gallon water for 5-7 days.

He stopped shaking I think it's because he was cold outside, he's a house chicken

There is a wild hen in the neighbors lot but she's fine and has been around for half a year

I got him to eat some of my sandwich and gave him pedialyte

The breathing was only right after I'd pick him up and from the bed and put him on my chest. He was panting earlier but now he stopped

I don't have any feed around because I fed it to the hen. I didn't know it was bad to feed him layer food. He's now on a rooster mix for fighting chickens but I don't fight him. I just wanted his feathers and tail to look more show quality.

About a week ago or maybe more he broke one of his spurs but only the tip of the quick was exposed. It bled a bit but he was not hurt or in any kind of pain. I put some normal neosporin on the tip.

Back
Top Bottom