Sick Serama hen; help please diagnosing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erinlee, Dec 20, 2012.

1. erinlee

erinlee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Baldwin MI
    Hi everyone-

Last week, I noticed one of my serama hens was looking like she possibly wasn't feeling good; sitting fluffed up and not very active. I tried to catch her a couple times but was unsuccessful, as soon as I tried to grab her she's perk up and run away. On Sunday afternoon, I was doing dishes and noticed something odd out by the barn looking through the window; when I went out there, it was my little Serama hen, stuck on her back, flailing her legs and couldn't get turned back over. :( It was raining and she was soaked, so I brought her into the house, wrapped her up in a towel, and put her in a brooder under a heat lamp. She dried off within a couple hours and was looking "ok" - still under the weather, but had perked up. I kept her inside under the heat lamp, put food and water in with her, and she ate and drank. I figured I'd keep her inside until she recovered.

Monday I noticed she had what I think were mites (yuck), small blackish/redish dots that you could see moving on her feathers. I dusted her with sevin5 powder. By Tuesday I could not see any more mites on her (yeah). She still is listless and under the weather. She is noticeably thin (can feel her breastbone). No discharge from nose, eyes. Eyes appear dull; still sitting/laying fluffed. Can walk, etc just fine, no signs of paralyisis, etc. Doesn't really seem to have diarrhea; droppings appear to be normal looking. Has some slight soiling around her vent which I'm trying to keep washed off. I don't see any lesions on her, etc. She is still eating and drinking - not alot, but some.

Any ideas on what could be going on with her? Do you think this could be a result of the mites? Is there anything else I can do for her or give her at this point to help her out?

The rest of my flock all appear fine. I will be doing a thorough clean out of the coop this weekend and will dust everything and everyone else for mites then.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

2. erinlee

Jun 11, 2010
    Baldwin MI
    I forgot to add; I don't hear any breathing noises; weazing, etc. No sneezing or coughing. No shaking the head.

I've been trying to do some research online as to what it could be, but none of the symptoms really seem to fit her.

3. erinlee

Jun 11, 2010
    Baldwin MI
    Not sure if this helps, but here is a picture I just took of her.

[​IMG]

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she were mine I would:

• Bring inside right away.
    • Weigh and record weight. I use a cheap digital kitchen scale from Target.
    • Do thorough exam. Check for lumps, stuck eggs, etc.
    • Dust for mites/lice with poultry dust even if I couldn't see any .
    • De-worm with Safeguard for Goats/Cattle (fenbendazole 100mg/ml) at the rate of 50mg/kg ( .5cc/kg) by mouth.
    • Place in box or plastic bin with access to food, water and heat.
    • If not eating and crop is empty, tube feed Pedialyte. Once hydrated, tube feed baby bird food.
    • Watch closely for 24 hours.
    • Weigh daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by