Sick Silkie Skin Problem & TSD

I’m sorry to say that after 5 months of trying everything under the sun, my poor little Princess Buttercup did not make it. She tested negative for Mareck’s disease but I still wonder about that. The vet thought that she might have a genetic disorder that did not allow her to absorb vitamins properly. She did not show signs of suffering until the night before she died. I wrapped her in a towel and we watched chicken videos (which she appeared to find very interesting) until we both fell asleep. She slept on my shoulder all night and died the next day. Never in a million years did I think I could love a little chicken so much. Thanks for asking.

I’m sorry to say that after 5 months of trying everything under the sun, my poor little Princess Buttercup did not make it. She tested negative for Mareck’s disease but I still wonder about that. The vet thought that she might have a genetic disorder that did not allow her to absorb vitamins properly. She did not show signs of suffering until the night before she died. I wrapped her in a towel and we watched chicken videos (which she appeared to find very interesting) until we both fell asleep. She slept on my shoulder all night and died the next day. Never in a million years did I think I could love a little chicken so much. Thanks for asking.
Years ago I found a fledgling that had similoar symptoms and looks but also went blind ( was blind when i found her) . I inyially thought and was told a vitamin deficiency but later it was thkught to be a parasite. Was parasites ever ruled out? I am so sorry for you loss. She looks like she was very well loved .

I am so sorry, she knew how precious she was.

Years ago I found a fledgling that had similoar symptoms and looks but also went blind ( was blind when i found her) . I inyially thought and was told a vitamin deficiency but later it was thkught to be a parasite. Was parasites ever ruled out? I am so sorry for you loss. She looks like she was very well loved .
Thank you. Yes. Parasites were ruled out, but who knows. I am learning that even many avian vets know very little about pet chickens. Instead, they look up medical advice from sources geared towards the large factory farms. On a more cheery note, I just watched “Mad City Chickens” on YouTube. It’s a bit quirky and has a 50 s feel to it, but it was entertaining — especially if you like chickens. 😊

Thank you. Yes. Parasites were ruled out, but who knows. I am learning that even many avian vets know very little about pet chickens. Instead, they look up medical advice from sources geared towards the large factory farms. On a more cheery note, I just watched “Mad City Chickens” on YouTube. It’s a bit quirky and has a 50 s feel to it, but it was entertaining — especially if you like chickens. 😊
Ill have to check that out! Thank you for sharing!!

Back
Top Bottom