1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Silkies...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tsuhaam, Mar 7, 2007.

1. tsuhaam

tsuhaam New Egg

Mar 7, 2007
    Some of my silkies have gotten sick.. They have a running nose and got stuff all over their eyes, I clean them every morning.. What shall I do as medication wise to help them out? Thanks in advance..

2. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    Tylan powder for their water or Tylan injectable and inject each one.

3. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Some Vetrx works good also to assist with any resp. stress. Tylan works wonders.

4. tsuhaam

tsuhaam New Egg

Mar 7, 2007
    thanks for all your suggestions

5. dixie chicken

dixie chicken Out Of The Brooder

I am currently going through the same illness with two of my silkies. They received a shot of Tylan 50 today. I was instructed to put one drop of Tylan in each affected eye (Do not inject, just drop a drop in). Then follow the drop with some terramycin opthalmic ointment to keep their eye from getting crusty. I was also instructed to give the shot and treat the eye twice a day for as much as 7- 10 days or until the chicken is better.
    I do not have an actual bottle of Tylan or manufacturer insert to read up on the medicine and I have heard that is is not labeled for poultry but people use it and it works well. My question is : has anyone followed this regimen and do you do one or two shots a day?
    This information was provided to me by a very reputable source and my chickens are already looking better after about 8 hours. I am always wanting to hear advice and experiences from other people. Thanks for help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by