Sick Turkey help request.

VaM715

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Fincastle, VA
I have a hen tha is about 11 months old. I bought her on August 16th, with 6 others. About the 23rd of August she started acting listless. Standing around, ruffled feathers and acting strange. I started her on Sulmet for about 5 days or so, thinking matbe she had Coccidiosis. She did not repond any better, so I figured maybe it was the move. Well she is still the same. She eats and drinks okay. Calls to her pen mates. But just stands aroiund with her eyes closed with a case f the feel bads.
Any idea what to do short of culling her? She has a full crop everyday before she settles in. She does not roost with the others, but stays on the ground. I've seen no funny droppings in the lot to indicate anything.
Thanks.

Try worming, I like eprinex (a pour on invermectin, listed for cattle but fine for birds). It will take care of most worms, but if she still doesn't do better you might try taking a stool sample to the vet (most only charge the same price as for a dog fecal float) to more accurately diagnosis and treat the problem.

Nice website on eprinex and your bird:
http://shilala.homestead.com/ivomec.html

Also, is she loosing weight? You said she is eating but does she weigh anything? Check for mites, look under the wings in the armpit area (or wingpit?) and around the vent.

Steve in NC

I thought worming to...Valbazen is also another good one, however ivermectin and Valbazen are not approved for poultry at the moment..but they both do a real great job of killing most worms..

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom