Sick turkey

They also do free range but my one turkey can hardly move. I had the same issue with a turkey I rescued. She was paralyzed due to a weak heart (took her to 3 different avian vets). She ended up dying. The vets said there was nothing I could do. I just made her comfortable and gave her fluids since she wouldn't eat. I'm afraid my current turkey is suffering from the same condition. But I have her in the house at night so I can make sure she's getting water and feed. She's eating at least. I put the rooster booster in her water should I just give her a mix by syringe at this point?

If she's drinking I think that would be sufficient. I mix it stronger for babies and the ill.

Have you checked her over for any injuries? You say she can walk but it's like it fatigue her quickly, right? And she's coughing but does her breathing seems labored? Sneezing? Nasal discharge? Trouble swallowing?

Is this bird from the same place as the other with a weak heart? Are you sure it's a heritage and not a meat bird? It seems peculiar to be in such a situation twice. Meat birds have many health issues and are not bred for hardiness, with, I think, a six month lifespan.

You may consider antibiotics, which I think can still be bought OTC, but i don't have experience with selection and dosing. Hopefully it is just an infection she is fighting and all she needs is your TLC while she fights it off.

Sorry I can't be more help
1f61e.png

Thanks so much for the info. Yeah someone from another forum is telling me she's a broad breasted and I should lower protein, I just purchased the 30% yesterday lol but will put her back on the lower protein

Thanks so much for the info. Yeah someone from another forum is telling me she's a broad breasted and I should lower protein, I just purchased the 30% yesterday lol but will put her back on the lower protein

There are a lot of people out there posting bad information. I raised my BBWs on 28% protein turkey gamebird starter followed by 24% protein turkey grower and finally a 20% protein turkey finisher. I did give my BBWS full access to free range once they were old enough to be out on their own. They did great and never had any leg or heart issues.

Failure to give the high protein feed at least during the first couple of weeks will lead to health problems later on.

If they are broad breasted, they are meant for eating. You can try to keep them as pets, but in the long run it's not good for them (or you). Their bodies aren't designed for it. Not knowing the lineage of the birds, they could have genetic problems and that may be what you are seeing. Try putting Red Cell in their water (it's a horse vitamin supplement) it helped some of my birds that were having a deficiency. Their health turned around in a few days, so you will see immediate results if it's working. You can try a syringe, but I think spoon feeding works fine. Put the tip of their beak in liquid and they will drink. You could try a thin oatmeal too, that will give both hydration and nutrients.

Thanks again everyone for your input, again I didn't raise them I found them in poor health at the feed store. I do realize they have bad genetics. My other one is doing great at the moment, free ranging and energetic. The one that I have isolated has enough energy to eat and drink, move around if she needs to. I think the rooster booster is helping. I'll try other stuff that has been recommended on here. So, if she shows she's miserable I'll do the humane thing and put her down but I'd like to stay optimistic for the time being . Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom