SIck Turkey

TMPoultry

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
Lake of the Ozarks
I have a sick month old turkey poult , I hatched out 4 and this one is swollen under his eyes , has some nasal discharge , still eats and drinks well . We have given her some antibiotics but hasn't helped any ???? Does not cough , sneeze no other issues ?? Solution ?

Tylan 50 injected in different areas of the left breastbone area for 3 days at a ratio of .27 cc per 1# of bird weight. My turkey has had this problem before, and this morning she received her first shot of tylan 50 again. She is already noticably better tonight. We had to dose her last fall as well... We got her when she was older and found out that she was NOT fed the proper food when she was growing up and this is probably the cause of that.

I watched my turkey get worse and worse trying to follow the advice of "easier" medications and nothing works. I've seen Tylan 50 work, and work fast. From what you describe, it sounds like this is what you need. The "swollen under the eyes" is what made me disregard the "easier" methods and go straight to the good stuff!

When I have birds with swollen sinus I use an 18 gauge needle with a syringe and suck out as much of the gunk as I can (sticking the needle right into the sinus). Then I get a clean syringe with a smaller needle and put the Tylan right into the sinus. I have never had to treat more than once. Use caution injecting Tylan into the muscle, it will cause muscle damage.

That is a mycroplasma infection of the respritory system (Chronic Respritory Disease) The eyes swell because the sinus cavity runs under them. It takes a few week to get them over it (no quick cure) and it is very contagious. Tylan is great for it, as are all tetracycline based anitbiotics. Get them all on some very soon. It can kill in bad cases, especially younger birds like that. Tractor Supply Store often have the Tylan and others on hand, or you can order on-line at Jeffer's.com
There seems to be a run on it in the colder months, I guess like us, we get colds worse in the winter too, and that's basically what this is, a poultry cold.
Survivors of it often end up being carriers of it, so dont be suprised if it pops up later again down the road, always will be good to have some anitibiotics on hand. If you even suspect one looks to be getting it again, give them a few days treatment and it can often be stopped earlier before another out break occurs. Oh also, watch the eyes, I have seen it mucus build up in them and form hard nodules under the eyelid. If you notice this, gentley mash it out from under the lid and remove it all. If left in, it can permanetly damage that eye or just out right put the eye out from all the presure build up.
Dont worry though, It's treatable, just takes a while, about when you say, THEY ARE NEVER GONE GET OVER THIS, they end up just fine...
Good Luck

Quote:
I'm not arguing with you at all, but the instructions say to inject it into the muscle....what could you look for to suggest muscle damage? This has me concerned because I've never heard of it. And with my past success, it does cause questions.......

How would you inject "right into the sinus"?

I use the needle and stick it right into the sinus (the area that was swollen). I do suck the gunk out first to get the pressure off of their face. I have heard of the muscle damage, but have never seen it (I have always done the sinus method). I treat them one day, one time. Day two there may be a little residual swelling, day three it looks like it never had a problem. I only treat birds with symptoms and never had it re-occur in the same bird again.

Here is a link from Von Russell peafowl describing the method (with pics) and he also usually does just one treatment. One thing that I do need to say... injecting Tylan into poultry no matter where you inject is off lable use. http://www.vonrussellfarm.com/pfcare.html

You could ask deerman what he knows about it... he mentioned it in a peafowl post https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=281387 Could also be that if there is damage, you can't see it because the feathers are covering it? I really don't know, I just know that I have seen lots of site that say that it causes muscle damage. deerman gives it orally, I use the sinus method. I have only had to treat 3 or 4 birds since I started somewhere around 8 or 9 years ago.

Yep, fortunately so far, I have only had to use it a few times too, most of the times, I just put it in the water, injections are just for bad looking birds, mild illness just gets it in the wter, I hate catching the big uns!

Back
Top Bottom