sick turkeys

greggb

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
I got three baby turkeys from the feed store about 1 or 2 months ago.The ladie told me to treat them just like the chickens and and to raise them whith the chickens. They was doing fine they have been in a small pen with chicken thier same age. they are around 2 lbs.yesturday one of them didnt want to stand up and when it did one of its legs was turning around back wards. today another one seemed fine this morning then had stuff coming out of its mouth and nose. got blood all in the pen and started shaking and died.the other one seems fine and the chickens seem fine. Is this common? Do I need to feed them somthing besides chicken starter?I have never had chickens or turkeys.

Last edited:
Hi there, I'm sorry I don't know what to tell you!! I have a turkey and I love him to death, but I got him when he was already about 5 or 6 months old and I've never raised a turkey from a baby. What kind of turkeys are they? If they're broad-breasted and not heritage turkeys they're not as healthy, and sometimes they can start to "go down" on their legs as they get too heavy, just like the meat chickens who are bred to get too big to support their own weight.
rant.gif

Anyways, I think they probably should have given you something other than chick starter, but it's hard to imagine that's all of the problem. I hope somebody else can give you better information, but I'll give you a bump at least.

Oh, and one more thing: See if you can get a necropsy done on your turkeys (a non-human animal autopsy, in case you don't know). I know around here one of the universities does them for free for small flock/poultry owners.

I hope you don't lose any more birds!
fl.gif

Good luck!! Oh, and . . .
welcome-byc.gif

Could be blackhead...a protozoa that is devastating to turkey's. The cecal worm is the host for the protozoa which is mainly carried in the feces of chickens. It is then picked up in the soil by the turkey and the turkey is then infected. Metronidazole may help the turkey recover. It's easier to kill the host...the cecal worm in the chicken. Two wormers that will kill the cecal worm are valbazen (albendazole) and safeguard (fenbendazole.) The protozoa can survive up to 4 years in the soil...so worming chickens on a regular basis will not only protect chickens, but turkey's as well.

Reasons for the spraddle leg in poults: Too high a temp. during incubation/too low a temp. in the brooder during first week or two/genetic/vitamin deficiency. Are the turks Broad Breasted Whites/Bronze? Can't offer opinion on the sudden expulsion of blood. Might want to feed remaining poult on a 28%-30% gamebird starter and give three drops of Polyvisol enfamil (without iron) vitamins a day and taper off after a week.

I'd separate poult from chooks to make sure it is getting enough feed.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom