sick young goat

frizzyizzy

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
so I got a young goat from friends of mine that run a camp, it was kind of a petting zoo project, unfortunately the mother of this young goat was more of a lunch project, so (baby Goat) was weaned a little early. so at the end of summer when school started I got my first little goat, he is just a small goat, doesn't have any friends at my house, but he goes in with the horses.

he had bottle mouth worms, so I got him de-wormed, then he got biting lice so I got him deloused.

now he's lethargic over the course of 2 days has gotten to the point were he cant walk, I think he is going to die if i cant figure out what to do.

we have tries baking soda in water, yogurt, and mineral blocks as a treat, he's had bread as well,

he is on mostly grass, he just roaming around our yard, but i don't think he has gotten into anything, he also has some hay.

please help me figure this out!

I don't have much time to post since I have ten minutes between my college class, but I will try and help! Also, sorry about any spelling mistakes, I am trying to type fast!

Do you have a vet you could send a fecal sample to? What you want to have looked for specifically is coccidia, which cause coccidiosis. That is a killer of kids. Healthy adults can handle the protozoan, but kids and ill adults cannot. It damages the lining of their intestines, preventing nutrient absorbtion. One of the biggest signs is lethargy, anemia, failure to thrive/grow, diarhhea (doesn't always happen), among other symptoms.

If he can't walk, this is an emergency. He needs to be up, so his gut will work properly. Try propping him up on or between some hay bales, so he is off his side. And contact a vet, ASAP.

If it were me, I'd hit him up with a coccidia treatment (even without a fecal, if he has NEVER had a preventative against coccidia or within the past month or so, since kids are SO susceptible to it) and iron. You can either give him Red Cell, a horse iron supplement, orally. OR there is an inject able iron supplement. Both are over the counter and available at TSC or other feed stores. I would also give him B vitamins and probiotics, in the form of an injectible B vitamin and oral probios, at least once a day on those.

thank you very much for your time, unfortunately at this point I think it is to late to do anything about it, he is no longer eating as of today, he cant even hold his head up, thanks for the advice though.
:'(

thank you very much for your time, unfortunately at this point I think it is to late to do anything about it, he is no longer eating as of today, he cant even hold his head up, thanks for the advice though.
:'(

If he is still alive get him to a veterinarian! He lasted a full DAY down! He is a fighter! Don't give up while he still draws breath!

Back
Top Bottom