Sickly Hen

kaylad1993

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
I have a 6 month old buff orphington that I found on her side 2 days ago. She was very weak and was closing her eyes. I thought for sure I was gonna lose her. However I loaded her up on some nutridrech got some food and water in her and tried to figure out what was going on. I put a potty pad down and found some blood in her poop so I gave her Corid. She has is doing well except she is till fairly puffed up and tail down. She keeps pulsating her end like she’s trying to lay but to be honest I don’t feel an egg. She is still eating and drinking but will sometimes pant and then she’s fine. I don’t want to lose her but I’m still very new to chickens so I don’t really know what else to do for her. Attached is a pic of her

Attachments

• 63B08ABC-7FE5-476E-A52F-D560061FD309.jpeg
    63B08ABC-7FE5-476E-A52F-D560061FD309.jpeg
    588.9 KB · Views: 8
Are you giving the maximum dosage of Corid with either 2 tsp (10 ml of the liquid) or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days? You can also give 1/2 tsp of the undiluted Corid orally once a day in addition to the treated water. Her tail position is down which means she is sick. I would insert a clean finger into her vent about 2 inches to feel for a stuck egg. Has she recently been laying eggs, and were the shells normal? How does her crop feel?

Are you giving the maximum dosage of Corid with either 2 tsp (10 ml of the liquid) or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days? You can also give 1/2 tsp of the undiluted Corid orally once a day in addition to the treated water. Her tail position is down which means she is sick. I would insert a clean finger into her vent about 2 inches to feel for a stuck egg. Has she recently been laying eggs, and were the shells normal? How does her crop feel?
I have a premade gallon of water with corid about a teaspoon and half. She hasn’t laid any eggs yetsince I’ve had her (had her since she was 4 months old) And her crop feels normal. She’s eating and it’s emptying normal as well. I’ll have to feel inside for an egg.

Let us know what you find. She may have a problem with reproductive problems, but hopefully it may just be an egg. If she seems egg bound, give her some human calcium orally.

Let us know what you find. She may have a problem with reproductive problems, but hopefully it may just be an egg. If she seems egg bound, give her some human calcium orally.
I’ll have to get some tablets tomorrow morning. I inserted my finger in her vent and didn’t feel an egg. He vent kinda pinkish and again keeps pulsating likes she is trying to poop. She has been pooping though, so makes me think she isn’t egg bound possibly?

Back
Top Bottom