Sickly Pekin

Jillyd78

Chirping
Aug 9, 2019
Southern Indiana
So a couple of weeks ago I had an emergency with my 3month old Pekin. You guys all helped so much, we got shots from the vet and she got better. But she isnt 100% and I've had to take her away from the flock. She gets better and as soon as I put her back out it starts again. After she got sick last time she fell into a fly strip so I used vegetable oil got glue off and bathed her in dawn. I put her back out in the pen with others. By the next day she was muddy so I bathed her blow dried her and put her in dry pen until oils came back. Her bill has always been very pale, she seems weaker than others she flaps wings and falls. She is dalling slot and her head has a slight bobbing up and down that hasnt gone away since she got so sick. Her eyes got bad and I almost think she is blind. She is very clumsy and falling alot. I hate to admit that I must be one of those idiots that took on ducks for fun without knowing what I'm doing but I must be. I have always had animals and loved animals so taking on ducks didnt seem like a huge thing. I take this to heart because I never want to hurt a living creature. So what am I doing wrong? All of the other ducks appear happy and healthy. I have 5 total 3 Pekins, 1 khaki and 1 rouen. I feed her crushed hard boiled eggs, all flock pellets, herbs, peas and corn, and sprinkle brewers yeast. I put probiotics and electrolytes in water every other day. I clean the pen and coop 1xweek I clean small pool daily. I just got a new pool that's deeper and has a drain. I put diatomaceous earth under bedding for bugs. I got deodorizer for coop. I keep flys away, I hung a mosquito repellent which is just salt water. I clean waterer and feeder. What am I missing? Please help me to stop feeling like a failure. I cant stand to see her like this. So her head bobbs she runs into things she falls her legs are not strong and her poop is watery. Her feathers are not how they should be she gets soaked all the way thru. All of these symptoms get better until I put her back out in pen. When I put her out the first thing she does is goes to pool she loves to bathe. I put her in big pool and let her swim for about 10 mins. I had to get her out she wasnt strong enough and she couldnt walk after that. I put her in by herself and no pool and she is walking now. Sorry for being all over the place I'm just trying to cover everything. Thank you in advance for any help.

What did the vet say? I don't have ducks, but I have taken care of them before. It sounds like you are taking good care of them. I am not sure about what treats/supplements are safe. Is the deodorizer bird safe? Maybe it isn't something that you are doing...especially if all of the other birds are healthy. Maybe the duck is just weak or has something wrong medically that is outside of your control. You could take her back to the vet if that is an option. I hope she turns around. Best of luck!

The vet said he didnt know much about birds but it looked like she picked up a bacteria. He told me to get rid of straw bedding and to use pine bedding.
If she wont get better do I put her down? That is something I'm trying to avoid because she is trying so hard but she is suffering. My vet is willing to see her because he is so caring and their are no avian vets close. Putting her down is last resort I plan to take her to vet before I make that decision. I'm just at such a loss with this one.

Maybe try some BComplex vitamins with her legs being weak she may have a niacin deficiency and the Brewers yeast isn’t taking care of it. It’s an easy try first. And in her weakened condition all the other symptoms have come about actually a severe niacin deficiency can kill one. And it doesn’t always affect the others it can just be one. You are not an idiot this deficiency can be pretty common but if you’ve never seen it you’d have no idea, and it may not even be this. But we have seen some pretty awesome results from using a liquid B Complex from TSC. And not real costly to try before having to put her down, the Liquid b is in the cattle section at TSC and it will say injectable but just peel off the foil use a dropper to pull out 1ml and if she’s eating good put it over a tasty treat so she gets the full dose. Is she eating and drinking? Any idea how much she weighs.

Last edited:
Maybe try some BComplex vitamins with her legs being weak she may have a niacin deficiency and the Brewers yeast isn’t taking care of it. It’s an easy try first. And in her weakened condition all the other symptoms have come about actually a severe niacin deficiency can kill one. And it doesn’t always affect the others it can just be one. You are not an idiot this deficiency can be pretty common but if you’ve never seen it you’d have no idea, and it may not even be this. But we have seen some pretty awesome results from using a liquid B Complex from TSC. And not real costly to try before having to put her down, the Liquid b is in the cattle section at TSC and it will say injectable but just peel oof the foil use a dropper to pull out 1ml and if she’s eating good put it over a tasty treat so she gets the full dose. Is she eating and drinking? Any idea how much she weighs.
I got some b complex and gave it to her. I would say shes about 5 or 6 lbs. Shes a couple pounds smaller than the others. I bought better waterer and feeder so fingers crossed! I love this website you guys are so helpful thank you!

I agree with you, I have a Pekin drake Aflac, who cannot walk due to vitamin lack, I had another Pekin a couple years ago pass from it too. My drake Aflac has gotten all better but still cannot walk which he has no issue with. He is as happy, and has nearly as much mobility as my other two Pekins, along with my other 3 breeds.

Maybe try some BComplex vitamins with her legs being weak she may have a niacin deficiency and the Brewers yeast isn’t taking care of it. It’s an easy try first. And in her weakened condition all the other symptoms have come about actually a severe niacin deficiency can kill one. And it doesn’t always affect the others it can just be one. You are not an idiot this deficiency can be pretty common but if you’ve never seen it you’d have no idea, and it may not even be this. But we have seen some pretty awesome results from using a liquid B Complex from TSC. And not real costly to try before having to put her down, the Liquid b is in the cattle section at TSC and it will say injectable but just peel oof the foil use a dropper to pull out 1ml and if she’s eating good put it over a tasty treat so she gets the full dose. Is she eating and drinking? Any idea how much she weighs.

I agree with you, I have a Pekin drake Aflac, who cannot walk due to vitamin lack, I had another Pekin a couple years ago pass from it too. My drake Aflac has gotten all better but still cannot walk which he has no issue with. He is as happy, and has nearly as much mobility as my other two Pekins, along with my other 3 breeds.
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom