Sickness or normal behavior?

TheRightAlice

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2023
Hi everyone!

I've purchased 2 goslings today. Breed is unknown but I suspect them to only be a few days old at most. As I'm sitting here with them, I notice they keep making a sneezing sound and fluid comes out of their nares when this happens. It also happens when they shake their heads. One gosling also has eyes that I think look a bit odd/swollen? Or maybe it's just tired? They do seem to sleep a lot. Brooder temps are fine, they are eating/drink, and preening themselves. Most times when I have sick chicks/ducklings they don't act normally. I've never had goslings, so of course I'm freaked out that something may happen to them. I've already formed quite the bond with these little guys.
Is this normal with goslings or could they be getting some type of respiratory illness? Any advice is welcome!

Attachments

• 16783166208433024055290136724051.jpg
    16783166208433024055290136724051.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 16783166525427322397204659136940.jpg
    16783166525427322397204659136940.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 3
:welcome Do they have deep enough water to completely submerge their bills including their nares? They don't need it constantly, but they do need it upon occasion to clean their nares.

:welcome Do they have deep enough water to completely submerge their bills including their nares? They don't need it constantly, but they do need it upon occasion to clean their nares.
They do, I read about that on another post here so I placed my larger water container in the brooder with them. The dish they had at the store was very shallow though, if that could make a difference? I have only had them a few hours 😅

It's possible that there may be some dust/debris in their nostrils. It will take time for them to clear. As long as they are otherwise okay, I would not worry too much - just monitor closely.

Hi everyone!

I've purchased 2 goslings today. Breed is unknown but I suspect them to only be a few days old at most. As I'm sitting here with them, I notice they keep making a sneezing sound and fluid comes out of their nares when this happens. It also happens when they shake their heads. One gosling also has eyes that I think look a bit odd/swollen? Or maybe it's just tired? They do seem to sleep a lot. Brooder temps are fine, they are eating/drink, and preening themselves. Most times when I have sick chicks/ducklings they don't act normally. I've never had goslings, so of course I'm freaked out that something may happen to them. I've already formed quite the bond with these little guys.
Is this normal with goslings or could they be getting some type of respiratory illness? Any advice is welcome!
Deep water for drinking Love that. For the first few days I put a small bowl upside down in a larger bowl with a edge for drinking. There is so much hatching dust created. Takes a bit for the babies to clean it out. If you blow on a gosling after they dry out from hatching you can usually get a little cloud. Or hold them against you and see the powder smudge on your close. They a born with a thick down more than my runner ducks get. How are they doing today.

Back
Top Bottom