*sigh* 6 months old and my girls are not all girls. Cock-a-doodle-Do

Rhawn

Chirping
10 Years
May 8, 2009
Central Virginia
I obviously have no clue what I am doing. All of the sudden I have 1 or more roosters. My flock is approaching 6 months old and out of no where, cock-a-doodle-doo. And I actually think there are more than 1.

Please help me sex these guys.

Here is a group pic.

DSC05611.jpg

First up is Mrs. Wings, who I am fairly confident is MR. Wings.

DSC05611a.jpg

Next up is Akmed the Terrorist. Think this is a dude as well

DSC05611b.jpg

Lastly, the 4 others, left to right. Chick 2.0, Old Yeller, Cluck 1, Cluck 2

DSC05611c.jpg

Your help is appreciated

Edited for language

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert but i'd guess that you have at least 4 roo's: MR wings, akmed, cluck 1 & 2. But i think better close up pics may help. I'd say old yeller has a questionable tail! Sorry, though i would say chick 2.0 is a hen!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I agree with ccomber.
hide.gif
It looks like Chick 2.0 is the only for sure hen. Old Yeller, we need a better picture of. There is a long feather in that tail, but one of my hens had the same thing.
fl.gif
The others...definite roos.
sad.png

Sorry,

Shelly

What am I going to do now? I am extremely frustrated.

Its too late in the year to start with chicks. Adding grown ups to my flock will cause issues I would imaging. I'm going to have 1-2 lonely girls popping out eggs once every full moon. AWESOME.

Here is a close up of Old Yeller. He/She looks alot like Chick 2.0. He has those tail feathers, but I think they are sticking out because some are missing.

DSC05613.jpg

Quote:
Ooooh! I think Old Yeller is a girl!
celebrate.gif
The next problem is...you've got 4 roos and 2 girls.
hide.gif
Poor girls! You should get the roos out before they terrorize the girls. If they are stressed, it could be why they aren't laying.
hu.gif
It's possible that Old Yeller is the favorite hen (it happens) and that is why her tail is missing feathers.

You could try to integrate new hens in. They are on Craigslist all the time. I would get maybe 2 that are from the same place, and introduce them to your girls, without the roos. They might do fine. I doubled my flock and added a new roo and had minimal problems. Maybe I was just lucky? I don't know.

I just got 8 chicks in a brooder, and they'll be laying by spring, if not before. I don't think it's too late. But, I don't know your set-up or where you're at. That's your call.

Good luck! And congrats on the TWO hens!
ya.gif

Shelly

I can sympathize..we got 6 chicks in May all supposed to be hens.. well 3 of them are roosters! boooo!!! So.. last month we picked up 2 new hens that we were SURE were hens and we got them close to the age of our first 6 (month apart)... We kept them seperated for a bit but then moved the 2 new girls in.. The 2 new girls are still not totally comfortable.. but they all roost together at night.. Now to get rid of 2 of my roosters.

So if I were you.. I'd look on Craigslist for some hens closer in age to yours.. and start introducing now and give some roosters their packing papers.

More-so my problem is I can have 0 Roos. When I say I have backyard chickens, its in the truest sense of the word.

I'm trying to get ahold of the lady I bought them from, who said she was willing to swap in this scenario.

Back
Top Bottom