*sigh* might be the end of the road for me

I looked up law definitions in South Carolina and it has Live Poultry as a specific term separate from "livestock". In other words, there are laws that refer to "livestock and live poultry", there are laws pertaining to "live poultry" and there are laws that pertain to "livestock".

How frustrating! I live in West Ashley, but outside city limits (in CHARLESTON county), when I called last year, they told me, "sure you can get chickens, just talk to your neighbors first if you plan on getting roosters. And make sure they're not in the street. Have fun!"
Big difference, huh? Maybe you should move to my neighborhood. There are many lovely houses for sale.

Good luck, I'll keep my eyes and ears open for loopholes.

my chickens and goats are more than likely illegal, but i have had them for quite some time now..just be nice to your neighbors, suck up a little bit here and there. one thing i have done..and i guess it could be risky is i have just went to my neighbors and asked if they are ok with it, if they are being bothered by them etc etc and i have gotten a good response..initially i didnt thought but i killed the guy with kindness!
lol.png

Quote:
The law I cited for your city refers distictly to poultry and not to livestock (which means the city ordinaces makes a distinction in themselves). So you have poultry (legal when penned) instead of Livestock/farm animals (thier dinstinction in the code, not mine). I'd say your tush is covered, just print out the link I googled ya incase anyone comes knocking.

I just bought a house in Sville (Dorch. 2 school district) and have read the ordinance. I agree with the others here. I'm nervous because I'm getting ready to build my coop and grab me some hens but the law simply states that they can't run at large. As long as they're on my property then there shouldn't be an issue. My husband said that he heard recently that we're getting a new ordinance making it clear that chickens are allowed in residential areas, though. Have you heard anything like that?

Sville had a town meeting tonight. They're rewriting the zoning ordinances so I went to speak out about poultry in case they were going to put it on the chopping block. The majority seemed to think that we have a law allowing poultry but having a limit on the amount a person could have. Several mentioned that they know of people with chickens in the town, outside of the agriculture zone. The chairman even mentioned how he had been thinking of putting his beehives in his backyard in the town. They ARE rewriting the zoning ordinances but it appears they will be protecting the right to sustainability while clarifying limits and such.

Hope all goes well trying to find loopholes, etc. But in the meantime, you can find a bantam breed and keep it inside in a cage. Nobody will know except friends. Silkies are supposedly good for indoors.
Good luck
thumbsup.gif
fl.gif
Crossing my fingers for you.

Back
Top Bottom