Sign Language, Anyone?

Cheep Mama, thanks
big_smile.png

TheOEGBman, maybe one day you will have a chance to learn
wink.png

EweSheep, that is so cool
smile.png
Of course considering you know ESL, was my signing (in ASL) somewhat easy to understand?
What is you outlook on the 'interpreter' speaking (silently) during a song?
Thank you for all the tips and encouragement
hugs.gif

FLchook, that is such an awesome website! Thanks a million
wee.gif

my 7yr old learned it watching signing time on fridays on pbs. i bought her one video and plan on getting her some more cause she really enjoys it. her sisters, 2 and 4, are also learning it by watching that show and from their sister. only problem is when they sign to me. "what? just talk while you do it please."

I didn't know that was on PBS. Thanks. My friend is a baby signs instructor and went to college to be an interpreter for the deaf. My son also attends a school that has a hearing impaired program and all the children and teachers learn to sign. My son can hear but has autism. It is difficult for him to speak sometimes because he can"t find his words. So signing is much easier on him. I use sign with my 14 month old also.

I have 3 cousins who are non hearing. I know the basic alphabet and a few signs.

All 3 of my cousins are excellant lip readers and it really helps in communicating with them.

Practice, practice practice.
It will only get better!
Keep up the studies!

I took a course to be certified as a baby sign language instructor. I wanted to teach my son when he was a baby and ended up starting after his speach was delayed. He picked it up very easily and so did I. The program I use suggests working with one sign at a time for 1-2 weeks and interegrating it in to your daily life. The best website I found was totally free, www.lifeprint.com and has many resources.

I agree with EweSheep in that you must find some Deaf folks and get to know them. That is the absolute best way to learn. I was a teacher of the Deaf for many years in both public school and at the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind. I graduated with a master's degree in Deaf education, but did not become proficient at sign language until my first job teaching high school. It was sink or swim.

I would contact your state school for the Deaf and ask if there are any Deaf organizations in your city. I used to tutor Deaf adults at a literacy center and they were so very patient and understanding of my struggles with learning to sign. Explaining that your heart is motivated to learn this beautiful language is often the best way to get help.

Also, I used to get together with my friends from sign language class for silent outings. We would go out to dinner or over to each other's homes and no voices were allowed. It helped a great deal.

My dad learned sign language a long time ago. Over the years he used to sign to himself during church and we kids were all terribly embarrassed. What it did was keep him fresh on his signing. Well twenty years later he came into a situation where he moved and several people at the new church were in need of an interpreter so he fell right into the role.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Buster. Ha! Your dad knew he would need his signing one day, didn't he!
big_smile.png

HollyInColorado, thanks for the tips!

Ams3651, that is great that you taught your son sign language
smile.png

@migocontodos~, thanks
smile.png

Penelope77, that is great that you are teaching your children sign language. I have seen that show once before, and I think it would be an awesome tool for younger children to learn ASL with
big_smile.png

FutureChickenMan, that is great that you will be teaching your baby sign language
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom