Significance of early tail feathers

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
Are early tail feathers an indicator of "pulletry" (I know, it isn't a word, but sure sounds like it could be don't you think)? I read somewhere that pullets get tail feathers before cockerels. I have three BRs that are like three weeks old and only one has tail feathers. Of my 6 one week old BO chicks, five have tails growing and one is, well, bringing up the rear with no tail feathers yet. Does that mean I have a BR pullet and 5 BO pullets?

Hey, Randy, usually very early tail feathers indicate a pullet, but not always. Are these the BR chicks you got from me? I was hoping at least two of them were pullets in the BRs but it was a smidge early to be sure of anything. How's the blue Orp looking?

Hey Cynthia! Yes the BRs are yours and one has a big ole tail and the other two are stumpy, so I am thinking one pullet and two males, but who knows. The blue orp is beautiful, but has a stumpy tail, so I am thinking he is a male. It doesnt matter to me at all, I am just curious if you can tell at this age.
smile.png

The Orps are slow to mature, so dont count that one as a boy just yet. I had a splash Orp feather out just like a pullet and the little brat surprised me by being a boy AND a blue Orp pullet feathered out like a boy, stumpy tail and all. You just never know for sure till later on some of them.

Back
Top Bottom