Signs of "Line Breeding"?

This foot problem is looking to be a serious defect now. Im sure no one wants to divulge where they received eggs from that these bad hatches occurred, but it would be really helpful to hear from people who have had hatches who had no problems at all.

Of Black Copper Marans:

I've hatched eggs from Margaret (Mergmet) and eggs from Monique (Ruth) - no defects. I think Margaret's stock is from Bev Davis, and Monique's is from Black Copper King, that go back to Wade Jean?

Eggs from Margaret were hatched last year. Eggs from Monique were hatched this year.

Quote:
You need to call him and tell him. I personally would like to know what his reply is. As I called him about it last year and got a hum....

The OP also told him about it, so let's see if there is a different reply.

If he has no good answer for you and refuses to address the situation, I will be happy to "out" him.

I got mine from Creefarms, and I Will say that they were WONDERFUL to deal with in every way. I have e-mailed them but want no money back since I did get some extra Ameraucanas in the deal and really am not blaming them, I just think that the Wade Jean line has gone as far as it can with out new blood lines being introduced hopefully someone will sell me a roo or two from a seperate line and hopefully those breeding will also bring in fresh blood and take the egg color hit if need be.

I tried to start a discussion for the purpose of info sharing about this and other issues with the lines
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=155981
but
it like so many Marans or Ameraucana threads got locked from fighting.
Wade Jeane seems to be an underlying bloodline in most, but you could look there and pick another breeder that has already mixed the bloodline. You could also post wanted on BST, someone has to be near you with an extra Cockerel!! I am outside Philadelphia and have 4 that are healthy and typey that you can just have if you are ever over/down this way.
Quote:

Quote:
I know Lisa, and she would want to know that there is a problem. I think she just acquired the birds last year, so this is her first breeding season with them. I am sure that she will be working on fixing it in her stock.

ETA: I assumed the OP got the birds from the same breeder as I did and made an A$$ of U and ME. This apparently is running in the Wade Jean line as the breeder I referred to is different. Just wanted to clarify for the record.

Last edited:
Quote:
Little Info on "Line breeding"- common ancesters in 5 generations. A good thing but, the common ancesters must be outstanding. Doubling up on quality. If you constantily do outcrosses you will have a giant jumble of genes with no consistancy in the offspring. You will just be producing hybrid vigor and some nice birds who will never produce themselves in there off spring. "Inbreeding"-Mother to son,father to daughter, brother to sister, Quick way to clean out a pedigree. A way to see what recessives are lurking in background. Your good birds will be good, your bad birds will be bad. Once you know the faults of a line you are much further ahead. I don't understand why no one keeps track(pedigrees) We kept pedigrees on rabbits,goats, ect. Thats the only way to know lines and traits of lines. German pedigrees on the GSD and the Rottie are a very detailed description of each dog. Along with pictures. If you want to develop a line you need to keep some serious records. Thats why when they say this line doesn't work with that line its because the people know the faults of the lines and know not to double back on them.... If you want to breed get some knowledge. Also, thats why some breeders do not sell hatching eggs and babies. Everyone knows there is no perfect animal. If this is happening keep the correct birds and log down all the faults you are seeing from the others. That is your first generation. When you go to breed them Pick out birds that correct the problem it may take a few gen. to do. Thats a line developing.
old.gif

Quote:

Went to the topic you posted. If this is a new breed/varitiy thats not even excepted by the APA yet why is there fighting. Everyone should know the breed is in beginning stages and keep the best get rid of the rest and work togeter and keep records/pedigrees. I am new to the BYC forum and the computer but, have been a student of genetics for about 30 years. My experience lies in Dogs(Rottweilers,GSD,Aust.Cat.Dogs) I had poultry most of my life. You know how I know a persons experience with breeding is: Beginners only see the faults..They don't have the experience to see good type. There are no perfect animals. Just good representatives. Every animal you put on the planet will have some fault. Its up to you to limit them...A new breed: you have 4 with funky feet 2 with good. Put down the deformed birds nurture the correct ones. Log all this info. down. If you keep, keeping deformed birds as food egg layers when you finally have acess to quality you wont have the space or money to purchase. If you want to be a breeder you have to love the breed more then the individual. And you will have to cull. Thats why buying eggs is like buying a fetus. You only have the parents to look at. And that is if you are lucky. A pedigree is a description of particular individuals. As a rule you will know more about your babies from their grandparents.
jumpy.gif

pips&peeps :

Quote:
You got your birds from a different breeder than the OP and I.

I know Lisa, and she would want to know that there is a problem. I think she just acquired the birds last year, so this is her first breeding season with them. I am sure that she will be working on fixing it in her stock.

I have not told Lisa about my webbibg problem. I like her adn didn't want to hurt her feelings. BUT I have a true WHITE Marans cockerel and when I asked about him to her she said he was splash. I have since sent more pictures of him to her and he is no splash, he is white. He also has very little feathering on his legs. I also have a cockerel with no tail. I almost think some of my eggs were out of Marans hens, but by an Auracana roo of hers. She has not replied to my e-mails about the white roo. I guess I should tell her about the webed feet and bad toes I got, but I don't really want money back or anything like that.​

DiVon80 wrote
If you constantily do outcrosses you will have a giant jumble of genes with no consistancy in the offspring. You will just be producing hybrid vigor and some nice birds who will never produce themselves in there off spring.

I agree. Line breeding is the way to get consistency & know what to expect from ones birds. IMHO I think the idea is to cull heavily. especially weak birds.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom