Silent Roo

Do you mean separate the submissive roo away from the other roos? With some female company thrown in? I worry that if I do that and put 2 hens in with him, then I would only have 5 hens with 2 roos in the main pen; would this lead to greater problems there with the male to female ratio?

Not really - I mean, I wouldn’t say they have a whole lot of regard for him, but they don’t pick on him. He just seems to hang mainly with the hens and do his own thing without trouble now, keeps his head down.

Not really - I mean, I wouldn’t say they have a whole lot of regard for him, but they don’t pick on him. He just seems to hang mainly with the hens and do his own thing without trouble now, keeps his head down.
Then you won't have to separate them i have 8roos in my main coop every blue moon someone gets a stick up their butt and starts something but it doesn't happen often

I’ve had some fairly extensive chats in another thread about ratios and think I just have to kind of wait it out and monitor for now to see what develops over the next week or two as they all hit breeding mode. Be prepared to segregate or (god forbid) cull if necessary - am trying to source an extra pair of hens to hold off trouble in the meantime. It seems its still possible that everything will be fine as is, so fingers crossed!

I’ve had some fairly extensive chats in another thread about ratios and think I just have to kind of wait it out and monitor for now to see what develops over the next week or two as they all hit breeding mode. Be prepared to segregate or (god forbid) cull if necessary - am trying to source an extra pair of hens to hold off trouble in the meantime. It seems its still possible that everything will be fine as is, so fingers crossed!
I hope so ya i don't have that issue in my main coop i have 47chickens 8 are roo's the rest are hens and I have 36chicks that are all supposed to be pullets so we will see if I could send you some I would

Oh wow, thanks I had no idea. This particular bird got injured as a chick and spent some time in the brooding pen kind of keeping to himself while his foot healed (After I kept him in a quarantine hospital box for a couple of days). The others picked on him a bit. I wonder if that set him up to be the underdog forever...
Give him his own harem he will be happy

I have a bunch of quail 207 of them they are all in the same pen i just integrated 60 Italian speckled into my covey of coturnix quail there is 22roos between both covey's and I have no issues

I‘m guessing the fact that you must have a pen the size of Etihad stadium might grant you more a bit more leeway, lol! My quaviary, as lovely as it is, has room for probably 20 max. There’s only 10 of them at the moment, so they‘re pretty spoilt right now. I love the Italian speckleds! Still trying to work out what I’ve got, there’s different ones. I’ve got some blondes that have started singing and it’s really beautiful. Can’t work out what they’re called though... (apart from Marilyn and Madonna, lol)

Back
Top Bottom