Silkie @10 weeks — Too soon to tell?

GardenState38

Songster
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Apr 13, 2011
This is one of two silkie chicks I got from Tractor Supply.
The other is white, much larger (I know you can’t compare different colors) and has begun to crow 😂
I can’t help but compare, and the comb on this chick is much less developed. Also has a much more skittish, non-confrontational temperament.
Less foot feathering than the cockerel, too.
Dare I hope?? 😬

CCB2B361-B653-41E0-B82B-4D7DDDCE353E.jpeg
87294523-B051-43BE-B667-72F5D4956C12.jpeg

Nothing screaming cockerel yet. A bit young, but leaning towards pullet from these pictures. Do you have a comb picture?
5C59DE9A-BC27-4658-A021-076B47D3AEDF.jpeg
2CE940A7-1CFA-4AD0-8BD9-32A1E832129A.jpeg
8022584A-C2AE-4E7C-B9B8-C821A59EA83D.jpeg

Best I could do—hard to get a clear shot on a squirming, dark-colored bird, on a cloudy day 😂
The pretty blue ear is a newish development on this one. The crest worries me a bit, but even the definite cockerel doesn’t really have streamers yet.

Oh, I hope, I hope, I hope!! 🤞🤞
That would mean a 50% male/female split on the 4 straight run bantam chicks I bought.
I swore I wouldn’t buy straight run chicks again, but there was a poor chick with terrible pasty butt that wasn’t cleaned very well 😖…and a 4 chick minimum purchase… sooo…
Luckily, Pasty (Patsy) is a pullet, at least (and doing really well now that her poor bottom has completely healed 🙄)
I don’t want to have to integrate her into the big girl flock alone 🥺

Oh, I hope, I hope, I hope!! 🤞🤞
That would mean a 50% male/female split on the 4 straight run bantam chicks I bought.
I swore I wouldn’t buy straight run chicks again, but there was a poor chick with terrible pasty butt that wasn’t cleaned very well 😖…and a 4 chick minimum purchase… sooo…
Luckily, Pasty (Patsy) is a pullet, at least (and doing really well now that her poor bottom has completely healed 🙄)
I don’t want to have to integrate her into the big girl flock alone 🥺
How did you successfully treat pasty butt? I’ve not had any luck.

Back
Top Bottom