Silkie and orpington mix

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Can I mix those 2 breeds to create a more heal-tolerant chicken? I need a heat tolerant silkie because I live in Gilbert AZ and it gets VERY hot this time of year. Climate change makes it worse each year as well...

No, they will not be more heat tolerant. Orpingtons are not heat tolerant, so mixing a silkie with an orp isn't going to improve heat tolerance.
Oh. Google told me that orpingtons are the most heat tolerant. Im more than certian that the bigger the wattle, the better the heat tolerance, so I should be looking for bigger wattles right?

Oh. Google told me that orpingtons are the most heat tolerant. Im more than certian that the bigger the wattle, the better the heat tolerance, so I should be looking for bigger wattles right?
Most of the big, fluffy breeds like orpingtons aren't very heat tolerant. Leghorns and Andalusians are pretty heat tolerant, but they aren't very friendly. Yes, most breeds with large combs and wattles are heat tolerant.

Most of the big, fluffy breeds like orpingtons aren't very heat tolerant. Leghorns and Andalusians are pretty heat tolerant, but they aren't very friendly. Yes, most breeds with large combs and wattles are heat tolerant.
So I will look for chickens at breeders that are calm but have big wattles is what I will do then. When I breed this mystery chicken with a big wattle with my silkies, will the silkie x mystery chicken chicks have bigger wattles?

When I breed this mystery chicken with a big wattle with my silkies, will the silkie x mystery chicken chicks have bigger wattles?
Probably not. Are yours bearded silkies? Beards reduce wattle size, and beards will show up in the first generation crosses. Some silkies also carry pea comb genes, which reduce wattle size and also show up in first generation crosses.

Back
Top Bottom