silkie and splash question

I'm sure not an expert, but they both look like little girl silkies to me. The crests are up and forward, not swooped back, and the combs look really small. I have two young silkie hens myself. Yours look like they are going to be pretty.

The splash looks like it may have streamers, hard to say for certain as the photos are not all that clear. Streamers from the head and hackle is often one of the first signs of a silkie cockerel. Males are also often ganglier, but that varies with quality. Behavior is generally a poor indicator as are spur buds. Silkies are often difficult to tell until they are at the point of laying or crowing. I had a 9 month old pullet who started crosing several years ago. Well, up until then I had THOUGHT he was a pullet.

Quote:
A bunch of years. That's how long I've been raising Silkies. Most of the time I can see male or female sooner than the standard lay/crow, just something "there" to give them away. Last year I offered to give a "him" away to someone who lost their only white male. I'm glad it didn't work out because the little boy suddenly hit that sweet spot and turned out to be a stunning female at a year old.

Back
Top Bottom