Silkie attacked by dog; no bleeding but cannot move one foot or walk

waluso

Hatching
Mar 26, 2021
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Silkie, around 2 years old, average weight for a silkie.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Was attacked by a neighbor's dog who dug under our fence 5 days ago. She has no visible wounds but cannot use one of her feet and cannot walk. She also has been making a slight gurgling sound.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
5 days. We separated her from the flock and have been checking on her regularly, trying to get her to eat and drink.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Cannot seem to move one of her feet. No bleeding.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
We think she tried to fly away from the dog and ran into the wire side of the coop.
7) what has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Small amounts. We have used a dropper to get water into her. She will eat a few grubs.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop has been runny and stinky.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Kept her separated in a small area, with hand feeding.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I have called numerous vets and they are all booked for a week or more and won't make an exception.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

She's currently by herself in a large metal bin in our garage with bedding and food and water.

Hi, it looks like you are doing a great job taking care of your bird! My Australorp, Jasmine, received nerve damage from a dog attack, and we first thought she had a dislocated leg, so we took her to a vet to see if they could fix it. They thought she was paralyzed, she couldn't walk, barely drank anything, and refused to eat, aside for a few grubs. They sent us home with some medicine (I am not sure what it was called, I will try to figure it out) and every day and night we would put it in a syringe and slowly drizzle it into her mouth. Whenever I was with her, I would dip her beak into her water container and would hold up some food for her to eat. I gave her legs warm compresses, massaged her legs, did physical therapy, washed them every day and put coconut oil on her legs, and after many, many weeks, I started taking her outside to her favorite herb garden to let her get some fresh air and enjoy the sun. She still, however, couldn't walk. So I began supporting her while letting her stand, and I did that for about ten minutes every day. Then I would just keep her balance so she wouldn't fall over, and after several more weeks, she started hopping on one leg. She is now with the rest of the flock, roosting, eating, and drinking. and while she does have a slight limp now, she now walks quite well. All in all, it was months of her not walking, but with patience, love, and care, I bet your chicken can walk too.
From what I'm seeing, it appears that your little hen might also have what my chicken, Jasmine experienced. Like your silkie, Jasmine was attacked by a neighbor dog, and she too couldn't move one of her feet - so it may be that she has nerve damage as well, but I cannot be certain. Hopefully, more people with more experience can help you soon!
I hope that this gave you a little inspiration and hope, and I really hope that she gets better. Lots of hugs to you and your girl! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom