Silkie attacking other chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DarthVeta, Jul 20, 2019.

1. DarthVeta

DarthVeta In the Brooder

May 7, 2019
    So, his temperament is wonderful with humans. So odd. He will sit on my lap and let me pet him, totally chill when I hold him, everything. But is being mean to some hens. I definitely can’t keep him, but should I rehome him? Or is he going to be awful in another flock and needs to meet his end?
    I read about chickens going bald from getting bullied and mine are not losing feathers at all. I want to believe there’s hope for this too to have a good life and it’s totally weird (being not a farmer) to think of my pet as dinner even though I eat chicken all the time. But really, what’s the best thing to do here? Can he be trained to be good elsewhere?

2. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Your Silkie is 100% a Cockerel!

Sorry for the news, I know the feeling of having to rehome a well loved female that ends up actually being male.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Separate him now, to give the girls a break.
    Put up an ad for a free silkie cockerel, and don't ask any questions.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's definitely a cockerel! So far, he's polite with humans, so maybe will work out elsewhere. A nice flock of mature hens may readjust his attitude a bit...
    Mary

DarthVeta and Fur-N-Fowl like this.
  5. DarthVeta

DarthVeta In the Brooder

May 7, 2019
    Thank you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: