Silkie breed help please

Rudies Roost

Songster
6 Years
Jul 17, 2015
Solihull, UK
Just after a little advice.....I picked up 2 "silkie" chicks at the weekend from an agricultural fair. They were sold as 3 week old silkie chicks, unsexed. Although I have many breeds of chicken, I am unfamiliar with silkies. I was wondering if anyone could assist with if these really are silkies, what age roughly they look and most importantly what colour that they are classed as. Any advice gratefully received.

They appear to be silkies, though not show quality as they look too big for that (perhaps hatchery grade silkies). Its a little hard to tell their coloration, they may be a cross between two colors, but the patterning on the head resembles my Partridge silkies.

Silkies are a lot of fun to have, soft to the touch and great parents. They are more prone to bullying, predation, and catching a chill if wet, but they are hardy in most weather and okay foragers. I trim my silkies head feathers so they can see and keep an eye out for predators as well as find food more easily.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Best of luck!
smile.png

They appear to be silkies, though not show quality as they look too big for that (perhaps hatchery grade silkies). Its a little hard to tell their coloration, they may be a cross between two colors, but the patterning on the head resembles my Partridge silkies.

Silkies are a lot of fun to have, soft to the touch and great parents. They are more prone to bullying, predation, and catching a chill if wet, but they are hardy in most weather and okay foragers. I trim my silkies head feathers so they can see and keep an eye out for predators as well as find food more easily.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Best of luck! :)

Many thanks for your help. They came from a guy who had some beautiful show silkies, I suspect these didn't make yhe grade hence him selling them on, they were only £5 and I don't show any of mine, I just enjoy them and their eggs! What do you think about the age? I had intended to put them with my broody wyandotte who has chicks but she was not at all interested in them! They live in a large cage with a teddy as a surrogate mum which they love and have time in a rabbit run during the day. ..they seem to be thriving and have a very healthy appetite. Thanks again for your help, I did post on the silkie thread but nobody replied so I'm glad I tried another post. I do hope they're Partridge, what pictures I've seen on the Internet, that looks a super colour :)

i can't tell anything about their size from your photo, and they are much too young to tell how they are going to shape up as they mature. could certainly end up show worthy if they have correct numbers of toes, etc. since you are in england, both largefowl and bantam silkies are available to you. and yes, they look partridge.

i can't tell anything about their size from your photo, and they are much too young to tell how they are going to shape up as they mature. could certainly end up show worthy if they have correct numbers of toes, etc. since you are in england, both largefowl and bantam silkies are available to you. and yes, they look partridge.

x2

I didn't think about the fact that they could be "Standard" silkies, as those don't exist where I live.
smile.png

They look to be around 4 weeks of age.

Thank you sonoran silkies. I was querying the age as we have 2 chicks, crosses of a RIR x Wyandotte bred at home, that are 3 weeks old for sure, these silkie chicks seem so much bigger even under all the fluff. I think they're great so I'll be happy with them being healthy. They do have the required 5 toes so all is looking ok on that front....they have a really plucky character so we're very excited to see how they mature. Thanks again for the assistance.

Back
Top Bottom