Silkie breeders Please Help!!!

TheTeenyTinyFarm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Elberon, Virginia
idunno.gif
My first silkie was born with a dome looking bump/lump on its head... with feathers of course.

The other two that hatched do not have it?

Is this normal? Certain breed of silkie?

fl.gif

I have read breeders' websites were they brag about the dommed skulls. I wouldn't worry; perhaps ask the person you got them from.
Best of luck!

That is called a 'vaulted skull'. Some silkies hatch with it and some do not. People who show silkies want a vaulted skull because it makes the crest look bigger and 'poofier'. Show us pics of your babies! We LOVE baby pics!!
love.gif

Lisa
smile.png

I was also told to be careful about the silkies skull or something to that sort. As it has an open plate and can get brain damage from being pecked in the right spot. I think thats what it was. I don't have any challenged silkies yet so maybe they weren't pecked.

Yes, be careful with chicks with vaulted skulls. I hatched a vaulted skull baby from one of my eggs, and starting at about 2 weeks old, she will stop and shake her head around. I think she bumped her head when she was little and it gave her some brain damage. But other than that, she is a happy little thing.

the chick has achilles tendon out of the groove though...how do I help fix this problem?

She is favoring her leg and the heel does seem tight...I'm not home either...my husband will be fixing this...so I need as much description as possible to talk him through this!!

HELP!!

One of the big breeder's sites I was looking at said she didn't breed hers for it.

I had a litter of 18 with one with it and I think he got kicked as he had Wry neck (crookneck) for nearly 2 weeks that got worse and worse until we finally had to put him down.

None of my other silkie babies had the dome head.

Vaulted skulls are common, and usually purposely bred for in the US. There has been some controversy over it lately, and some breeders are getting away from it. Its a personal choice whether or not you would like it in your lines.

The only special care they need is to make sure nothing hits their head seriously hard while they are young. (IE: no pecking by older birds)

Quote:
Thanks for the info...the chick has something wrong with its leg...not sure what it is...not sure if it's something that can be fixed or if the chick will make it...only time will tell.

I hope it does make it...my first hatch and the first one to hatch!

I luv them!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom