silkie breeding tips?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joe17, Aug 2, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I am just starting to get into raising silkies. I have 2 dozen b/b/s chicks from two great breeders. I am hoping to get a really nice trio or quad out of them to start breeding. Are their any breeding tips? I know there are a lot of serious and experienced breeders that have great information. I already talked to a couple breeders already but I want to make sure I learn as much as possible before I actually start breeding my silkies.

2. Hi! You've got a while to go before you are at breeding age --- but obviously, don't breed anyone that has DQ's or flaws.
    Goood luck!
    Lisa

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Exactly when is breeding age? 6 or 7 months? They should start laying in Spring I think.

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i guess breeding age would be when they start laying but there is a whole thing (that I don't know about) about hatching pullet eggs. [​IMG]

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Breeding age for Silkies ranges from 6-12 months. I have heard a few people that had birds that started laying that late, but the norm is 7-8 months.

6. SilkiesAndSuch

SilkiesAndSuch Silkie Daddy

Jan 27, 2010
    Mayo
    Well, there are a lot of things you can do to produce good birds. Breed birds that don't have any DQs or serious faults. Breed birds that are healthy. If two birds show the same fault, don't breed them together, or you risk establishing the fault for many generations to come. Example, if you have a rooster with a small crest, breed him to a hen with a large crest instead of one with a small crest. If one bird has less than good foot feathering, make sure you breed it to a bird with better foot feathering.

Breed your best birds to your other good birds if you can. Only keep less than perfect birds if you feel that you can build upon them or you feel they have something to contribute to your line. I have read that inbreeding is commonly used with silkies to create the best birds, but remember that after a few generations, inbreeding depression will begin to set in. Add some new blood every now and then if you plan on inbreeding and DO NOT breed brothers to sisters. Grandparents to grandchildren and parents to children are ok.

Supplement your breeders' diets so that they create vigorous offspring, etc. Read the standard for silkies so you know all of the defects and DQs.

Record what certain breedings result in. If two birds produce a show winner, repeat the breedings. Good luck with your breeding program!

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

First thing, if you don't have a copy of the standard, go get one asap. Study the silkie standard. If selecting a bird to breed that is great, but lacking in one area, pick a mate that is not lacking in that area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by