Silkie breeding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenkeeper12, Jan 1, 2013.

1. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Hello everybody, I have 4 white silkies right now. I have one roo and 3 hens. They are 16 weeks old right now. I am getting 6 more silkies, the colors I'm getting are 2 black, 2 splash, and hopefully a couple buff. Since I'm not going to be showing my silkies I was wondering if it is all right to breed the different colors. Im not sure if you guys will know this but what colors would I get if I breed a,
    White and buff
    White and black
    White and splash

Also when do silkie hens start to lay and when does a silkie rooster start to crow?

Thanks

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    first of all, i would suggest looking up the Standard of Perfection on silkies for showing and breeding traits.

I would keep the varieties pure..meaning breed white to white, buff to buff and so on.

Silkie pullets usually start to lay around 6-8 months depending on the time of year.

roosters will crow about a month or two before the hens start to lay, at least mine do.

3. chickenkeeper12

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    The thing is I don't want to show them so would it be all right to breed the different colors?

4. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Sure you can breed however you want then. Just keep up with which cock you mated with which hen and the chicks they produced. This way you can breed them again, and pick which outcome you liked the best.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Breed all your colours. Any silkie sells. Doesn't need to meet the SOP, but I would not breed any with deformities.

White to anything is a crapshoot. You can never tell. White covers any colour and it's always a surprise. You may end up with some standard colours. I have when crossing my different colours. I started for fun and actually ended up with birds I could show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    F
    rom a blue x buff mating I got some partridge. I will breed them to their own colour now and see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  6. chickenkeeper12

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    So your saying that breeding white with a color will be pure white or it will look bad?
    BTW thanks for the pics and the colors you bred

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I've never seen an ugly colour in a silkie - though I've seen ugly silkies.

[​IMG]
    Here are some more of what I got out of blue x buff (yes even the white!)

[​IMG]
    Here is one of the blues I started with. All 3 of my starting stock (pullets) are blue. 2 from one source, one from another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The dad of all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by